Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (85% of Full)

Advanced

Re: old mine in San Joaquin headwaters?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar old mine in San Joaquin headwaters?
September 16, 2014 01:26PM
We came across an old cable around here, and I saw what looked like a mine with tailings up here. Also saw an old can and a buckle, but maybe those are from campers? (All locations are visual estimates.)

Any info about their history?
Re: old mine in San Joaquin headwaters?
September 16, 2014 01:50PM
This just came up on another thread: it was probably the Bliss Prospect. You can read more about it here--see p. 101 for a map with other claims and prospects in this area.
avatar Re: old mine in San Joaquin headwaters?
September 16, 2014 01:58PM
That area was within the limits of Yosemite National Park per the Act of 1890. If you look at the old maps they are listed as "Mineral Lands", and because of that and, I presume, pressure from mining interests, that area was removed from the park in the early 1900s.

All of that area being wilderness now I would think that all of the mining is not allowed...or perhaps allowed as long as you don't violate the other wilderness regulations, I am not sure. I amagine that there are lots of old mining claims, excavations, etc. all over that area.

I found a marker for an old (1978 vintage..pre-Wilderness designation) about 10 miles southwest from that spot, also in Ansel Adams Wilderness, a few weeks ago. Wrote about it here. Learned lots from that...anything over 50 years old should be left alone.

Not far from the Clover Meadows Campground, the Strawberry Tungsten Mine may still be operating (it is outside the wilderness).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2014 02:01PM by Bearproof.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login