Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite: A Storied Landscape

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Yosemite: A Storied Landscape
October 29, 2014 07:25PM
The California Historical Society Museum in San Francisco has an exhibit and ebook recognizing Yosemite's 150-year history:
http://www.californiahistoricalsociety.org/exhibitions/yosemite/
http://www.californiahistoricalsociety.org/publications/ebooks/
October 30, 2014 07:12AM
Browsing the ebook blurb provided above, but not having the ability or savvy to buy/download/read same - (alas, computerly challanged and having no eBook), I noticed one section titled "Hippies and the true story of the 1973 riot in Stoneman Meadow."

Having been in Yosemite, in the meadow, at this fiasco (which BTW took place in 1970, not 1973), I am intrigued on this author's "true" take of the events of that day - (two days really).
Can someone here who has purchased this eBook and has the computer smarts and the ability to cut-n-paste/re-post this article...please post that specific "Hippie" section here ....(or a link?)
Thanks,
Mark

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 11:03AM by markskor.
October 30, 2014 09:18AM
Here ya go...

“There are more hippies than bears in Yosemite National Park.”
—Los Angeles Times, July 17, 1968

By the summer of 1970, Yosemite Valley’s Stoneman Meadow had become a favorite hangout for the counterculture crowd to drink, smoke, socialize, and play music. Going into the 4th of July weekend, the Park Service was on high alert. A tense Memorial Day weekend confrontation in Stoneman Meadow had ended with the rangers backing down. Rumors floated through June of a “Woodstock West” coming to Yosemite, and acting Superintendent Lawrence Hadley was determined to hold the line against he characterized as “the impact the adverse element of society is placing on the park.”
“On the evening of the 4th, confronted with a crowd of several hundred young people that would not disperse, the Park Service sent in men on horseback armed with mace and ropes. The crowd threw rocks and bottles, and the scene degenerated into a melee. Park employees hastily armed with ax handles barricaded roads while the youth in the meadow, having driven back the charge of the mounted rangers, flaunted a sign reading “People’s Park.” Arriving at what one commentator called “a paramilitary solution to a social problem,” the Park Service called in reinforcement from local law enforcement. Over the long night, the riot finally burned itself out as arrests (138), injuries (only 7—one of them a drug-induced coma), fatigue, and eventually, boredom mounted. By mid-day on July 5th, a Sunday and the end of the holiday weekend, order was restored.
In the aftermath of the Yosemite riot, the Park Service removed Superintendent Hadley, replaced aggressive law enforcement in favor of a more rigorously trained park police, and designed a youth-oriented nature interpretation program. Noted Deputy Superintendent Bill Halen of the hippies, “They are idealistic, highly motivated and, as a matter of fact, enthusiastic park people.”

Excerpt From: Kerry Tremain, Kenneth Brower, Rebecca Solnit, Susan Landauer, Jeffrey Lee Rogers, California Historical Society & Thomas Killion. “Yosemite: A Storied Landscape.” v1.2. 36 Views, 2014. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.
October 30, 2014 10:58AM
troutwild
Here ya go...

“On the evening of the 4th, confronted with a crowd of several hundred young people that would not disperse, the Park Service sent in men on horseback armed with mace and ropes. The crowd threw rocks and bottles, and the scene degenerated into a melee. .

Thanks!
It was afternoon, not evening...also should have added (mace? ropes?) their swinging of batons here instead of what was stated...about 30 pissed-off, geared-up, "Mounted Police"... wearing black riot helmets charged us on horseback. This was no spontanious response - obviously orchestrated long before. (I remember thinking nice horses too - not local stable horses) when they stampeded through the then-open meadow - swinging their clubs at anybody unfortunate to be in range. I know because my head being on the receiving end...(was a bit groggy after that...friends threw me in the back of the van.) Yes, we were smoking pot, (but "I didn't inhale"winking smiley...yes, we were breaking the law. Yes, a few bottles were thrown back at the onrushing assault, but not before. BTW, There was no warning given before they charged.

Also interesting about the demographics of those arrested...IIRC, there were lots of sons and daughters of affluent Californians "captured" that day...(a senator's son?) This could have had some influence on the ousting of Hadley and Yosemite's enlightened attitude today...

Still one of many " idealistic, highly motivated and, as a matter of fact, enthusiastic park people.”...thanks Yosemite!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 02:03PM by markskor.
October 31, 2014 08:55AM
I'm still searching for the original 15 minute video but here's a short version:

http://youtu.be/5VLc9DXDxBo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 09:46AM by troutwild.
avatar Re: Yosemite: A Storied Landscape
October 30, 2014 06:24PM
This event occurred in the summer of 1970. Can anyone recall the significance of May 4th, 1970? I can. I was there the day before.

www.pbase.com/caesar77
October 30, 2014 06:43PM
Are you perhaps referring to "Four killed in Oh Hi Oh"? I was 18 years old and although I was not there, the massacre left an everlasting scar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 06:51PM by troutwild.
October 30, 2014 08:19PM
My cousin was standing near the girl in that famous picture but can't be seen in it.
October 30, 2014 08:20PM
See my reply to troutwild. It was a scary time for our family.
November 01, 2014 09:34PM
Parklover: I am speechless and bug eyed! I was attending Ohio State University at the time and happened to be visiting Kent State with a friend. Who knew? I hope your cousin is well.

www.pbase.com/caesar77
November 02, 2014 10:01AM
He was in grad school at the time and only talked about it once with me and never wanted to do so again. I am sure the experience has haunted him all this time. It was a turbulent time.
December 01, 2014 01:43AM
We took mom to this over the holiday. It was cool. $5, an hour and change, well spent.

http://www.californiahistoricalsociety.org/exhibitions/yosemite/
June 29, 2014 – January 25, 2015
678 Mission Street San Francisco CA 94105
Tuesday – Sunday 12:00pm to 5:00pm

There's also some good stuff here, we spent about 3 hours, same price.

http://www.museumca.org/visit
Oakland Museum of California. Corner of Lake Merritt. $15. $10 for mom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login