Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Fall color in the Valley...right NOW is the time

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fall color in the Valley...right NOW is the time
November 08, 2014 09:31PM
I thought our visit this week might be a little late for fall color in the valley, but it's spectacular right now, so head on over quickly if you want a colorful treat for your eyes.

Cook's meadow, the Mirror Lake walk, Happy Isles, the walk to the Ahwahnee from Northside drive, El Cap meadow, the Fern Spring area and nearby along the river, and plenty of other areas have the yellow maples, red/pink Dogwoods, yellow/orange Oaks all showing off, so get up there if you like to see this great display.

I know that "fall color" gourmets say the valley really isn't all that spectacular for color, but when you're already in a place like Yosemite Valley, and you add fall color, it's pretty hard to beat.

The days are short so for the best display, you have to work with the sun. Mirror lake, Happy Isles, and the walk over the bridges to the Ahwahnee work well for mid-morning walks, then the Fern Spring area if you can time it right (very short sunlight hours this time of year) For afternoon, Cook's meadow, then down to El Cap meadow; Valley View is good but loses the sun early afternoon. Even the area behind the lodge, both near the river and between the lodge and Cook's meadow are nice, and can work from late morning into the late afternoon.

I haven't had time to process any photos, as we just got back and are leaving for another trip, but the couple of photos posted are from near Yosemite Lodge, heading toward Cook's.

The bright sunny days are great for this, so don't put it off...things change quickly.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2014 09:34PM by Sierrafan.
avatar Re: Fall color in the Valley...right NOW is the time
November 09, 2014 12:53PM
I was there last Sunday through Wednesday. Here are a few pics from then...

The Fern Spring turnout is visible in this photo...

El Cap Meadow...

Also in El Cap Meadow...

Cook's Meadow with the moon rising Monday evening...

November 12, 2014 05:45PM
These are really lovely photos. Thanks for posting!

I was also in the Valley this past weekend. Took a few shots with my phone, not great quality, but you get the idea.

Trail along Mirror Lake

Valley loop trail
November 15, 2014 09:50AM
From the Conservancy webcam -- mid-November in the meadow.

http://pixelcaster.com/yosemite/webcams/ahwahnee2.jpg
November 19, 2014 06:54AM
Sigh. First time in 5 years we're going to miss fall color in the valley, the only place in CA that I really like shooting that anymore.

Hopefully we'll be there for the first big snow storm!
November 19, 2014 09:30AM
Here are a few photos of the fall color (plus snow on the rim) from our trip to the valley a couple of weeks ago during the first storm of the season.

avatar Re: Fall color in the Valley...right NOW is the time
November 19, 2014 11:32AM
November 19, 2014 07:23PM
Really nice. We were going to go this weekend but both my husband and I are sick. sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login