All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Graffiti near Nevada Fall
November 18, 2014 06:30AM
Still there... no change from earlier this year.... right near Casa Nevada

and found this also right near the base of Nevada... nice

to top it all off... hopefully it just happened on it's own... but ... the little arch on Easter Quarter Dome is no more

sad smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Graffiti near Nevada Fall
November 18, 2014 06:17PM
Did you report the graffiti?
avatar Re: Graffiti near Nevada Fall
November 19, 2014 07:01AM
Feel free to... I've reported many things in the past... and nuttin happens...

But.. I'll try to get to it in December if no one else does it...

(probably over 100,000 people have walked by the first one)

November 19, 2014 07:27PM
When was the last time you were in that area? I don't mind reporting it if you think they would be able to find the graffiti if I gave them your description where it is.
November 19, 2014 09:33PM
Those were taken last weekend... Nov. 14-16

The one near "Casa Nevada" is near the river at the "picture" location...
(the spot everyone goes to take a picture of Nevada Fall ...
right before the trail takes a left into the woods...
after Casa Nevada...

The other one is the base of Nevada Fall...

November 19, 2014 09:49AM
4 million people a year... there are bound to be a few bad apples. It's up to the people who care about the place (if you're on this forum you qualify) to take care of it and clean up after the idiots.
November 19, 2014 07:31PM
There are special ways to clean graffiti so you don't cause more damage so the park really doesn't want people to do any graffiti removing unless they have been trained.
November 20, 2014 09:51AM
Hope my comment didn't come across as snarky... now that I read it again I see it could be interpreted that way. I guess I was referring more to illegal fire rings, discarded TP, mylar balloons, etc. Removing graffiti without making a huge mess is a tough task involving solvents and a lot of elbow grease and is probably best left to the NPS. A few years ago some idiots left giant orange spray paint dots (like a foot+ in diameter) marking the way down the Gunsight gully and it was removed successfully (I believe by the NPS in that case...)
November 20, 2014 11:05AM
I just didn't want someone to read your comment and then go and try to remove the graffiti and cause more damage. I agree, that if you see illegal fire rings, trash, etc then take care of it. I always carry a small trash bag with me and pick trash up as I go. I have a thing about trash, it drives me nuts. When my son and husband stop to take pictures, I pick up trash in the area.
November 20, 2014 12:58PM
parklover
I just didn't want to... try to remove the graffiti and cause more damage. .
Interesting...more than a few years ago, some bassholes decided to spraypaint "Nudes Only" on the route up to the Tubs above the Ahwahnee.
Not knowing any better, we borrowed a wire brush (friends in Housekeeping) and spent a few hours dry-scouring the granite...took off about half/ still faint remained...Granite is pretty tough.
I did not realize that we were doing anything wrong...(sigh)...sorry Yosemite.
November 26, 2014 08:24PM
markskor
parklover
I just didn't want to... try to remove the graffiti and cause more damage. .
Interesting...more than a few years ago, some bassholes decided to spraypaint "Nudes Only" on the route up to the Tubs above the Ahwahnee.
Not knowing any better, we borrowed a wire brush (friends in Housekeeping) and spent a few hours dry-scouring the granite...took off about half/ still faint remained...Granite is pretty tough.
I did not realize that we were doing anything wrong...(sigh)...sorry Yosemite.

95% of the population would probably have chosen brushes and probably have done no damage, but you have to bee careful of that other 5% -- those folks who would use a solvent that would leave a shadow of the original graffiti, etc.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
December 01, 2014 08:41AM
I keep an eye on news regarding this topic just to see if justice will be served. While finding nothing yet, I did see this article on clean-up:

Graffiti Cleanup in National Parks Proves Challenging

"Removing the unwanted images without causing further damage is a delicate task, as chemical solvents and sandblasting can potentially strip away more than just the paint, affecting the underlying stone, geologically important micro-fossils, or nearby ancient rock art. Workers are carefully testing chemicals to make sure they are safe to use, then applying them in a stream of low-pressure hot water. Plastic kitchen spatulas are being used to carefully scrape off the acrylic paint, layer by layer."

Investigation continues...

Woman paints faces defacing 8 national parks including Zion, Canyonlands

"Investigators continue to collect evidence, conduct interviews and are consulting with the U.S. Attorney’s Office about potential charges. They ask the public to exercise patience and allow due process to take its course as the investigation moves forward, according to a statement written by National Park Service spokesman Jeffrey G. Olson."
December 17, 2014 11:35AM
Those IDIOTS! Maybe they are on social media...

Can't one of youse with better skilz than I just forward this page to the Yosemite NPS?
December 17, 2014 12:11PM
hikerchick395
Can't one of youse with better skilz than I just forward this page to the Yosemite NPS?

I did.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login