All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 20, 2014 12:57PM
Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 20, 2014 09:07PM
Very cool. I went up to Dana Village 3 weeks ago and had the entire place to myself. Really cool place to be in the late season, when the brown grass somehow accentuates its ghost town nature. I also took a side hike over to the Granite Lakes, which I had seen on the map but never visited before. What a beautiful spot - and again completely devoid of other people!

Now make more Yosemite Nature Notes!!!
avatar Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 23, 2014 01:57PM
The time frame, 1880, is very interesting when compared to the Bodie mining town which began around 1875.

www.pbase.com/caesar77
Poison!Poison!Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 25, 2014 07:40AM
WOW!!! thought I had seen all of the 'nature notes' at least ten times each but I've never even heard of the Yosemite ghost towns. must be the valley's best kept secret.Idea
Re: Poison!Poison!Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 25, 2014 08:13AM
I heard about Bennettsville a long time ago but never knew exactly where it was. I have never heard of Dana Village. People are always asking why we go to Yosemite so many times and I tell them because there is always something new to see. Now I have two more places.
avatar Re: Poison!Poison!Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
November 25, 2014 08:25AM
I've never heard Dana Village used before. Great piece of work as usual.
Surprised that "The Great Sierra Mine" was never mentioned once in the piece.
Certainly you've told people to go to Gaylor Lakes, no?

There are a couple of cabins among the woods in the Dana drainage area.
If you are someone interested in that sort of thing... you may find that ...
interesting... I haven't seen the one I ran into... and the one basilbop
ran into... ever on any maps... (so there's 2 we know of) (there may be more)

Great piece... Gotta go check out Bennettville now sometime...

Thanks for posting

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Poison!Poison!Re: Ghost Towns - Yosemite Nature Notes - Episode 25
July 18, 2016 07:16PM
Old thread - new (day) hike. I'll be heading out to see the area around the Great Sierra Mine. I didn't realize that Bennettville is on the other (east) side of that ridge, downslope quite a bit; I thought it was just above/near Gaylor. Maps show several other prospects up there besides GS Mine.

Where is Dana Village? I can't find any maps indicating its location. From it's name I'd guess that its on the opposite (south/east) side of Tioga Rd (near Mt. Dana), but from some textual descriptions it sounds like it may be on the ridge where the mineral outcrops were discovered.

I found information here: http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/ghost_mines/ which I found interesting for historical perspective. I'm not sure why there would be any constructions above Gaylor Lakes, if the adit was down by Bennettville.

I'll be visiting soon. From the topo map it looks like there's a chute to climb directly down from the ridge above Gaylor Lakes down to Bennettville, rather than hiking back to Tioga Rd and then along the lower trail to the mine. Has anyone tried that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 02:42PM by ags.
July 19, 2016 07:32PM
Dana Village is on the west side of Tioga Road. Just take the trail to Gaylor Lakes right next to the entrance station. Once you get to the lower lake take the trail that heads north passed the upper lake. After you pass the upper lake you will see a trail going up the hill on your left. You can also see one of the larger remaining structures from the lake. Just climb up the hill and your at Dana Village/City.
July 19, 2016 07:41PM
I guess that's what I've inferred from what I've read, but it wasn't explicit. I guess I thought that a place called "Dana Village/City" would be on Mt. Dana... though it is "just across the street" :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login