All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Horsetail Falls 2015
February 04, 2015 09:20AM
So, it's almost time for the Horsetail Falls light show to (potentially) get started.

Is there currently any water flowing over the falls? There is supposed to be some more rain/snow this weekend, which should help things out a bit.

It was decent last year, but (like everyone else) I'm really hoping for a bit more water...

2/17/2014
February 04, 2015 09:25AM
I'm no so sure there was any flowing over RIBBON Fall!
It's just ridiculously dry ...

(so, no, there was nothing over Horsetail. no way... no how)

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 04, 2015 12:10PM
I agree with The Bird, there is nothing right now.

The drainage basin above the falls is very small...probably less than a quarter of a square mile...and its all pretty much granite, so there is not a lot of soil to hold and slowly release the precip that lands there..it just runs off quickly. The Falls are most reliable when there is a nice, slowly melting snowpack up above to provide a constant trickle of water. And right now that snowpack doesn't exist.

That being said, with the big storm due to arrive, things will change. The problem is that it is a warm storm...the NWS report I just read says snow level above 7500 feet...and the high point in the drainage area above the falls is about 7700 feet...so there probably still won't be much snow up there after the storm. But they are saying lots of rain, followed by more dry weather starting Tuesday. So I would guess that the Falls will be flowing and the sun will be shining at least during the early part of the window...Tuesday through Friday. But it may dry up again quickly.
Re: Horsetail Falls 2015
February 04, 2015 02:25PM
Thanks for the replies. I was planning to go for a couple days starting on the 16th, though perhaps I will try to get out there early next week instead.
February 05, 2015 02:05PM
Remember that you can take a look-see at The El Capitan Web Cam
(Meeester Eeek has a link to the Webcams below) ...
It's pointing directly at Horsetail ... you can take a look at something like
halfdome.net (Inspiration Pt cam) from previous years...

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 17, 2015 02:00PM
So has anybody seen Horsetail in the last few days and could comment on the water flow? I can't really judge well on the web cam. But I'm guessing it isn't very good. I'm taking a trip to Klamath Falls this weekend and am considering swinging by Yosemite on the way home (next Monday or Tuesday) if Horsetail is worth attempting.

Thanks.
February 18, 2015 09:01AM
All the photos I've seen show that it's basically dry. There might be a damp path, but not much flow. Still, the light has looked quite impressive: not my photo
February 18, 2015 09:15AM
vitaminC
All the photos I've seen show that it's basically dry. There might be a damp path, but not much flow. Still, the light has looked quite impressive: not my photo

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. Although there is a slight chance of rain Saturday night into Sunday.
February 20, 2015 08:46PM
I'm here...it is dry
February 20, 2015 09:56PM
hikerchick395
I'm here...it is dry

That seems to be the consensus. Looks like a storm is heading in Sunday night into Monday. I think I'll head in Monday morning and check things out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login