Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Study debunks common misconception that urine is sterile

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar SFPUC employee will be fined for urinating in a Hetch Hetchy System reservoir
February 10, 2015 02:30PM
A San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) employee will be suspended for several days without pay after the SFPUC determined that he had urinated in the Priest Reservoir (west of Yosemite) on January 6th of this year. The SFPUC is the agency that operates the Hetch Hetchy Water System, including the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir inside Yosemite National Park.

“The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission learned from an employee that Martin Sanchez, who earns $111,000 a year as a maintenance planner, on Jan. 6 urinated into the Priest Reservoir just west of Yosemite National Park, said utility spokesman Tyrone Jue.

"The message to him is very clear, even after this disciplinary action - zip it up or you're going to get shipped out," Jue said.”

http://news.yahoo.com/penalty-tap-worker-urinated-california-reservoir-173749353.html

avatar Re: SFPUC employee will be fined for urinating in a Hetch Hetchy System reservoir
February 11, 2015 08:27AM
I bet he's pissed off about that.
Re: SFPUC employee will be fined for urinating in a Hetch Hetchy System reservoir
February 11, 2015 10:58AM
Ha ha. That's a good one. I think he got off easy because with his job title, he should set an example and follow the rules. In the meantime, I would be happy to take his job at that incredibly salary and I promise that I will not put as much as a toe in the water much less piss in it.
Re: SFPUC employee will be fined for urinating in a Hetch Hetchy System reservoir
February 11, 2015 03:34PM
Since the resorvoir is contaminated now, maybe they should just drain the whole thing. And take down the dam... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 11, 2015 05:40PM
He urinated in Priest Reservoir not the Hetch Hetchy and it was empty because they were doing maintenance. However, I agree about the Hetch Hetchy and removing the dam. If they are not going to do that then at least let people canoe and swim in it which is allowed in other reservoirs.
avatar Re: SFPUC employee will be fined for urinating in a Hetch Hetchy System reservoir
February 11, 2015 09:41PM
The fish piss in it all day. They do other things in it too. no, stop, enough! Urine is sterile. I'm sure the raccoons that crap in the water add far worse things, like cryptosporidium or giardia, than human urine would.
February 12, 2015 12:06AM
Dave
The fish piss in it all day. They do other things in it too. no, stop, enough! Urine is sterile. I'm sure the raccoons that crap in the water add far worse things, like cryptosporidium or giardia, than human urine would.

But only humans can transmit cooties.

Head roll
February 12, 2015 07:39AM
plawrence
Dave

But only humans can transmit cooties.

Head roll
And it's the thought that counts.

Old Dude
February 13, 2015 01:53PM
Dave

According to a paper presented at the American Society of Microbiology in 2014, human urine is not sterile and even urine from healthy individuals contain bacteria. Since the water is treated and given the small ratio of urine to water, I would not be concerned. The issue for me is that this person, who is a maintenance planner, knows that peeing in the water is prohibited and he did any way. Another story I read said he has done it more than once. In this case, he should be fired. Who knows what other things he has been doing or not doing.
February 13, 2015 03:04PM
parklover
The issue for me is that this person, who is a maintenance planner, knows that peeing in the water is prohibited and he did any way.

At best it indicates a really bad attitude problem. He should have been fired and maybe prosecuted.
February 13, 2015 03:26PM
eeek

He should have been fired and maybe prosecuted.

If he is a member of a public employees union, firing him would be nearly impossible.

February 13, 2015 03:33PM
plawrence
If he is a member of a public employees union, firing him would be nearly impossible.

Nonsense. He can be fired for cause.
February 13, 2015 09:48PM
eeek
plawrence

Nonsense. He can be fired for cause.

But not before he attends a disciplinary hearing. And with San Francisco public employee unions, that's their escape hatch.

If the public union employee in question calls in sick on the date of his/her hearing, the hearing is postponed. So guess what usually happens on the date of the disciplinary hearing.
February 14, 2015 09:47AM
plawrence
But not before he attends a disciplinary hearing. And with San Francisco public employee unions, that's their escape hatch.
No, that's nothing but union bashing. Those hearings and such are to protect the employees from being wrongly dismissed. If there is a good cause to fire anyone in a public employee union, it's not very hard to do so. I've seen it happen many times.

If the public union employee in question calls in sick on the date of his/her hearing, the hearing is postponed. So guess what usually happens on the date of the disciplinary hearing.
That's not true.
February 13, 2015 08:19PM
parklover
According to a paper presented at the American Society of Microbiology in 2014, human urine is not sterile and even urine from healthy individuals contain bacteria.
Not any bacteria that would cause any more pollution than the racoons crapping in it every night.

Since the water is treated and given the small ratio of urine to water, I would not be concerned. The issue for me is that this person, who is a maintenance planner, knows that peeing in the water is prohibited and he did any way. Another story I read said he has done it more than once. In this case, he should be fired. Who knows what other things he has been doing or not doing.
Why not fire him for something important? I'm glad he has a more reasonable supervisor.
avatar Study debunks common misconception that urine is sterile
April 06, 2015 01:38PM
Bacteria have been discovered in the bladders of healthy women, discrediting the common belief that normal urine is sterile. "While traditional urine cultures have been the gold standard to identify urine disorders in the past, they do not detect most bacteria and have limited utility as a result," a researcher said. "They are not as comprehensive as the testing techniques used in this study."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150330134507.htm
avatar Re: Study debunks common misconception that urine is sterile
April 06, 2015 09:19PM
Bacteria are found just about everywhere - even in solid rock almost a mile underground. I seriously doubt the amount of bacteria in a human bladder could contaminate a large reservoir like that.
April 06, 2015 09:29PM
You are correct that this amount would not contaminate a large reservoir. However, my point has always been that it is against the rules to urinate in the reservoir and it has been said he had done it more than once. Given his position, he knew it was not allowed and still he did it. There in lies the problem.
April 07, 2015 08:00PM
I'm not into punishing people for petty rule violations.
April 07, 2015 09:30PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but his bosses didn't think it was a petty violation and they also have the public to answer to. There is a possibility that he has had past problems at work that we don't know about that could have influenced their decision.
April 07, 2015 11:19PM
Dave
I'm not into punishing people for petty rule violations.

He wouldn't have been punished if fellow SFPUC employees didn't rat him out.

“A commission insider sent us a copy of an anonymous complaint to higher-ups alleging that a number of employees had seen Sanchez urinate “several times” in the reservoir — including the day they learned he had passed an interview for a management promotion and that they would soon be reporting to him.” — Matier and Ross, S.F. Chronicle

http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross/2015/02/09/s-f-water-manager-faces-suspension-for-urinating-in-reservoir/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login