Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Ferguson Project Public Information and Events

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Ferguson Project Public Information and Events
March 02, 2015 11:43AM
The Ferguson Project, located on the Highway 140 corridor, will allow travelers to enjoy unencumbered, scenic and year-round access to Yosemite National Park. The first phase of the project will begin this spring. We encourage the public to participate in the open house meetings for more information.

Mariposa Ferguson Project Open House
Date: 3/3/2015
Time: 5:00pm – 7:00pm

El Portal Ferguson Project Open House
Date: 3/4/2015
Time: 5:30pm – 7:00pm

Ferguson Project Kick Off Event– Must RSVP to Angela Deprato at (209) 948-7176 or angela.deprato@dot.ca.gov
10:00am Bus Pick Up at YARTS Post Office Bus Stop (in front of the Yosemite Conservancy Office)
11:00am Event Begins (no parking is available at site, rsvp to reserve transportation)
Location: Ferguson Rock Slide Area (please wear appropriate footwear)
avatar Re: Ferguson Project Public Information and Events
March 02, 2015 03:44PM
March 02, 2015 11:48PM
What a stupid image to have as a jpeg. <sigh>
March 03, 2015 12:11AM
eeek
What a stupid image to have as a jpeg. <sigh>

If you prefer, you can download the image as a PDF file too. wink

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist10/environmental/projects/fergusonslide/Project_Map.pdf

March 02, 2015 08:49PM
And more info, including some interesting concept drawings, here ...they are going to fix the portion of Highway 140 affected by the big slide a few years back. Work starting this spring.
March 03, 2015 12:17AM
Thanks for the link.

A few of the conceptual drawings:

Re: Ferguson Project Public Information and Events
March 03, 2015 08:46AM
I participated in the public comment period and it was interesting to see the different fixes that they came up with but this is the first time I have seen this concept drawing of the rock shed. There were both pros and cons with the tunnel and the rock shed concepts and one of the biggest for the tunnel is the cost and the length of time it would take to build. One nice thing about the concept shown here is that you will be able to see the river as you drive through this area instead of being inside a tunnel. I have some mixed feelings about the concept but it is just a concept and who knows what it will actually look like when it is finished.
March 03, 2015 08:25AM
Looks nice. I still like my idea of a real tunnel.
March 03, 2015 04:58PM
My idea involves several tunnels. Take a TBM and bypass several "U" shaped road bits.
March 03, 2015 05:07PM
So what's the idea? That it'll eventually get buried and the slides will just go OVER it?
What if a particularly BIG rock comes down? Is it built to withstand the big rocks?
March 28, 2015 04:16PM
Mon. 3/23/15: Waiting to cross the bridges heading up river, observed big forklift moving rolls of wire:

Fri. 3/27/15: Waiting to cross the bridges headed down river;

Driving slow past the construction took a few 'blind' pics out my window;

March 30, 2015 01:16PM
Looks like they're trying to secure and stabilize the mountainside the best they can before continuing with their work. Hope everything goes as planned.

March 31, 2015 07:56AM
Stabilization is not the goal there. They are only trying to prevent loose rocks from falling down on workers while the shed is being built.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login