Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Most of Mariposa Grove to be closed for 24 months come this summer

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Most of Mariposa Grove to be closed for 24 months come this summer
May 18, 2015 09:03PM
Restoration of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias Project

The Mariposa Grove restoration project will restore dynamic ecological processes and increase the resiliency of this treasured grove to withstand emerging stressors today and in the future. This project is underway, although major work won't begin until at least July 6, 2015, and tentatively ending about 24 months later.

Once completed, visitors to the Mariposa Grove will notice the removal of the gift shop, tram road, and tram tours; a smaller, relocated parking lot in the grove (with a larger parking lot at South Entrance with free shuttle service into the grove); a wheelchair-accessible trail to the Grizzly Giant; and new restrooms with flush toilets.

Project Impacts

Most of the Mariposa Grove will be closed, as described below. We will attempt to provide additional access as work and weather permit. This page will be updated if access changes.

Mariposa Grove Road and Lower Mariposa Grove

The lower Mariposa Grove and Mariposa Grove Road will be closed for 24 months beginning no earlier than July 6, 2015. (The lower grove includes the Fallen Monarch, Bachelor and Three Graces, the Grizzly Giant, and the California Tunnel Tree.)

Upper Mariposa Grove

The upper Mariposa Grove will be closed for 24 months beginning no earlier than July 6, 2015, however, foot and equestrian access will be allowed along the Outer Loop Trail, and visitors can access the Outer Loop Trail by foot or horseback using trails from Wawona and Fish Camp. (The upper grove includes the fallen Wawona Tunnel Tree, Telescope Tree, and the Mariposa Grove Museum.)

Big Trees Tram Tour and Wawona-Mariposa Grove Shuttle

The Big Trees Tram Tour permanently ceased in 2014.

The Wawona-Mariposa Grove shuttle has resumed service and will operate until the Mariposa Grove closes. After the grove closes, the shuttle will not operate for the duration of the project.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm
May 18, 2015 09:53PM
I know they want to get the project underway but I don't understand why they are closing the grove during Yosemite's 125th anniversary celebration. They could have waited until at least the fall when visitation is less.
avatar Re: Most of Mariposa Grove to be closed for 24 months come this summer
May 19, 2015 12:10AM
The elevation is too high for substantial work during late fall and early spring. For a lot of construction work the ground cannot be too cold, and of course there's the concerns about the snow (if the drought ever ends).

So the bulk of the work will need occur during the warmest months of the year. At that elevation, not only is the growing season short, so is the "construction season".
May 19, 2015 08:34AM
plawrence
The elevation is too high for substantial work during late fall and early spring. For a lot of construction work the ground cannot be too cold, and of course there's the concerns about the snow (if the drought ever ends).

So the bulk of the work will need occur during the warmest months of the year. At that elevation, not only is the growing season short, so is the "construction season".

I am aware of those restraints. However, the grove is always touted as one of the places to go to in Yosemite and it would have been nice to keep the grove open for those people who have never seen it and are going to Yosemite this year because it is an anniversary year. There are people that like to go to parks on their anniversaries. This is a two year project which most likely will take longer anyway because that is how construction goes and there could have been ways to do work in other areas of the grove and still keep at least the lower grove opened June and July this year. It is not an issue for me but I feel for people that really want to see the grove and this is a once in a lifetime trip that they planned before the announcement was made. Yes, there are two other groves and there is Sequoia NP, but some people really want to see the Grizzly Giant.
May 20, 2015 11:50PM
parklover
plawrence

I am aware of those restraints. However, the grove is always touted as one of the places to go to in Yosemite and it would have been nice to keep the grove open for those people who have never seen it and are going to Yosemite this year because it is an anniversary year. There are people that like to go to parks on their anniversaries. This is a two year project which most likely will take longer anyway because that is how construction goes and there could have been ways to do work in other areas of the grove and still keep at least the lower grove opened June and July this year. It is not an issue for me but I feel for people that really want to see the grove and this is a once in a lifetime trip that they planned before the announcement was made. Yes, there are two other groves and there is Sequoia NP, but some people really want to see the Grizzly Giant.

It's also a matter of funding and when the funding is available for any planned project. I'm sure the Yosemite Conservancy (and its donors) have a major influence on when the projects that they help fund get done.

And in regards to the sequoias in the Mariposa Grove, they're great and that's by far is the best grove of sequoias in Yosemite. But for anyone that's keen in seeing sequoias, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks and the adjacent Giant Sequoia National Monument have far superior sequoia groves compared to those in Yosemite.
May 19, 2015 07:01AM

The Big Trees Tram Tour permanently ceased in 2014.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

So much for the elderly and others unable to walk being able to see the grove.
May 19, 2015 07:20AM

a wheelchair-accessible trail to the Grizzly Giant;

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 19, 2015 08:41AM
Yes, but not all people who can't walk far are in wheelchairs. I have a friend who can walk and doesn't use a wheel chair but has lung issues so they can't walk far at elevation.
May 19, 2015 09:12AM
I think placarded vehicles will be allowed to drive to a small parking lot near the Grizzly Giant, so this accessible trail will be short (maybe 500'?) and mostly level from that lot. (See fig. 2-5, p 2-14 here).
May 19, 2015 10:51AM
basilbop
I think placarded vehicles will be allowed to drive to a small parking lot near the Grizzly Giant, so this accessible trail will be short (maybe 500'?) and mostly level from that lot. (See fig. 2-5, p 2-14 here).

My biggest sadness will be the loss of motorized access to the upper grove. I no longer can hike that far and it is actually my favorite part of the Mariposa Grove area. I am so glad that two years ago, knowing that the trams might/would be discontinued, that we took the tram to the top and hiked back down. I won't be able to see that area again. sad smiley
May 21, 2015 12:08AM
parklover
basilbop

My biggest sadness will be the loss of motorized access to the upper grove. I no longer can hike that far and it is actually my favorite part of the Mariposa Grove area. I am so glad that two years ago, knowing that the trams might/would be discontinued, that we took the tram to the top and hiked back down. I won't be able to see that area again. sad smiley

A good compromise would have been to make a trail to the Upper Grove accessible to riders of Segways. Segways are quiet and environmentally friendly and their use could keep places like the Mariposa Grove Upper Grove accessible to a far wider group of people, probably including people like yourself without the environmental detriment of larger vehicles. DNC could have kept a small rental fleet of Seqways at the bottom of the Lower Grove near the parking lot for those who might have wanted to rent one to visit the upper grove.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 10:12PM by plawrence.
May 19, 2015 09:35AM
parkluva,
was going to delete my post... don't mean to seem insensitive to z elderly
(remember I hike wit z old dood ... smiling smiley )
anywho, ya... there is supposed to be parking very very close... and
please bear in mind that there are many other Sequoia groves in Sequoia NP
which the trees are very very close to the road.
regards,

May 19, 2015 11:31AM
chick-on
parkluva,
was going to delete my post... don't mean to seem insensitive to z elderly
(remember I hike wit z old dood ... smiling smiley )
anywho, ya... there is supposed to be parking very very close... and
please bear in mind that there are many other Sequoia groves in Sequoia NP
which the trees are very very close to the road.
regards,

Oh great bird of pink, I know that you are not insensitive to the elderly but it is not only the elderly that can't hike. Yes there are other groves with easy access or close to the road but my comments are colored by the fact that the Mariposa Grove is my fav and the upper grove has always had more appeal to me than the lower grove. While I understand the need for the changes so the sequoias can thrive, it is sad that now some people will not be able to experience the upper grove because it was a different experience than other groves that are easily accessed. I won't miss the noisy tram but the ability to go to a place that I really loved. Of course, people who have never been to the upper grove will not know what they are missing if they can't hike there. As for z old dood, I think that he will never be elderly and hopefully he will continue to be able out hike people decades younger than him for many more years.
May 19, 2015 11:50AM
I completely understand where you are coming from w/r to the Upper Grove.
It really is a special place. Thank you for your words and perspective.
Am very sorry.
Kindest Regards,

May 19, 2015 11:02PM
Dearest bird of pink, I don't want you to feel bad. At some point all of us will have to stop doing some things we like to do and the time comes sooner for some than for others. So don't fret and hike your heart out while you can and keep posting those trips.
May 19, 2015 12:58PM
PL,
We've been acquainted for a long time now, and I know how passionate you are about Yosemite, as well as the other National Parks. I agree with everything you wrote, and I empathize with your not being able to access the upper grove in the future.
That being said, perhaps we can coordinate a visit in the future, and I could offer to try and carry you up there:

smiling smiley
May 19, 2015 11:07PM
As much as that might be fun, I am not a "petite flower" and after a piggy back ride, your back might not be the same. LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login