All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tioga Road is closed again
May 21, 2015 02:46PM
SR 120
[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM CRANE FLAT TO 5 MI WEST OF THE JCT OF US 395 /TIOGA PASS/
(TUOLUMNE, MONO CO) AT 1420 HRS ON 5/21/15 - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE
ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE
Re: Tioga Road is closed again
May 21, 2015 04:12PM
Interesting scenario shaping up. Tomorrow about Sierra Crest areas NWS forecast for Friday in the Southern Sierra is 2 inches of snow with up to 5 inches. Thus myriad Memorial Day Holiday weekend visitors will be in for a surprise Saturday morning. Of course as is the usual case, most visitors tend to expect to visit the same places early season as they do mid summer. Although forecasts for the weekend are for better weather, there is going to be an unusual amount of snow on trails and per above some of the higher trailheads may not initially be open. In the past going back decades foul weather on the MDH weekend has often been the situation. Thus as a decades old backpacker I learned to avoid these May storm and snowy trail situations for a list of reasons I won't mention haha. Oh I love snow but leave that for when skis are under my feet. Instead am driving up to Lassen NP where only the highest peaks have had any snow for weeks, working elevations below 6.5k feet where vegetation is already green and wildflowers are likely blooming.

http://www.davidsenesac.com
May 21, 2015 04:40PM
Yeah, got caught in ikky conditions Memorial Day 2008...

And again in 2011...

Ended up spending a lot of time in the tent camped next to some other crazy bozo that year.

I foresee more of the same this weekend (even the same bozo!)...

Best to sit this one out, stay home, don't drive to the mountains, and wait for the 4th of July weekend....

But if you do head out, be safe and have fun!
May 22, 2015 08:46AM
Hopefully this means a longer run-off season for the waterfalls and cascades. Any snow is welcome.
avatar Re: Tioga Road is open again
May 22, 2015 09:43AM
SR 120
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
May 22, 2015 11:53AM
SR 108
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login