All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

So how do they get the Half Dome permits?
July 09, 2015 03:08PM
I just received an on-line ad for a commercial trip up Mt Hoffman, Clouds Rest, and Half Dome. The $749 fee includes the Half Dome cable permits. How do they do that?

http://www.theclymb.com/adventures/16543/yosemite-three-summits/show-product/127897?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=adventures&utm_campaign=2015_07_09%20PM%20-%20Adventures%20Weekly%20-%20DEFAULT

This trip begins in the Yosemite Valley for night one before departing to the high country. Backcountry highlights include: Tenaya Lake. May Lake, Mount Hoffman (10,850’), camping beside one of the Sunrise Lakes, Summit of Clouds Rest (9,926’), summit of Half Dome (8,836’), and returning to the Yosemite Valley beside both Vernal and Nevada Falls on the Mist Trail. Experience great views into the Yosemite high country and into the Yosemite valley from high points above, and camp beside high alpine lakes and streams while enjoying the beauty that surrounds you. All required gear will be included (backpacks, sleeping bags and pads, tents, eating gear, trekking poles) as well as gourmet backcountry cuisine.

They list five different starting weeks in August and September. I guess that permits must not be a problem for them. "Price includes trail permits and Half Dome cable permits."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 04:09PM by wherever.
avatar Re: So how do they get the Half Dome permits?
July 09, 2015 11:03PM
wherever
They list five different starting weeks in August and September. I guess that permits must not be a problem for them. "Price includes trail permits and Half Dome cable permits."

Sounds like wilderness permits. They could do it the way all other guiding services do it. They would need a commercial use authorization permit for guided backpacking, and then they would need to reserve wilderness permits just like everyone else. They could probably reserve the permits, then modify them as needed. However, from the reading of the description, these are not the day permits subject to the lottery.

The guides claims to be part of a 501(c) (3) nonprofit although they may simply be subcontractors.
July 10, 2015 07:02AM
wherever
I just received an on-line ad for a commercial trip up Mt Hoffman, Clouds Rest, and Half Dome. The $749 fee includes the Half Dome cable permits. How do they do that?

"

Reservations for Wilderness Permit & Half Dome Permits
The application process for wilderness permit reservations is unchanged. However, be sure to specify when making a reservation that you want Half Dome permits. If Half Dome permits are available and Half Dome is reasonably part of your itinerary, you will receive a reservation that includes them. Half Dome permits received in this way will be valid for all dates your wilderness permit is valid.

Old Dude
July 10, 2015 09:02AM
mrcondron
wherever

"

Reservations for Wilderness Permit & Half Dome Permits
The application process for wilderness permit reservations is unchanged. However, be sure to specify when making a reservation that you want Half Dome permits. If Half Dome permits are available and Half Dome is reasonably part of your itinerary, you will receive a reservation that includes them. Half Dome permits received in this way will be valid for all dates your wilderness permit is valid.

The Half Dome permitting process for attaching to wilderness permits always seemed to apply some sort of fuzzy math. They theoretically have a daily quota that applies to backpackers, but it seems more like a soft number.
Re: So how do they get the Half Dome permits?
August 12, 2015 09:45AM
I was in Yosemite Valley this weekend. On my return hike from my failed attempt to get to Diving Board I talked to many Dome hikers who had permits but said there was NO ranger who ever checked them.
This was a Sunday.
Re: So how do they get the Half Dome permits?
August 12, 2015 01:54PM
Curious Hiker
I was in Yosemite Valley this weekend. On my return hike from my failed attempt to get to Diving Board I talked to many Dome hikers who had permits but said there was NO ranger who ever checked them.
This was a Sunday.

It's like checking tickets on SJ the trolley. Most days no inspector comes by, but if I tried to skip the ticket I would surely get caught and fined....

Anyway, the Half Dome ranger has to respond to any emergency in the area, so they are probably often away from their post. If you could arrange for your buddy to break a leg, then you could certainly sneak up the cables.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login