Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Bear Activity

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 16, 2015 01:19PM
Bear activity this week has increased park-wide. In wilderness areas, several hikers have had packs destroyed after failing to store food in a food storage container when leaving their packs unattended. Additionally, several backpackers have had bear cans rolled away from their campsite in the night. Always keep food within arm’s reach when it is not secured in a food storage container while out hiking. Remember, bears are active on trails both day and night.

Bears have been seen frequently in Yosemite Valley campgrounds and have obtained food from people on numerous occasions because visitors failed to store items properly. Always store food and scented items in a secured food storage locker - never in a tent or vehicle.

If you see a bear during your visit please report it to the Save-A-Bear Hotline at 209-372-0322.

Red Bear, Dead Bear: So far this year, five bears have been hit by vehicles. Please protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and paying attention while driving.

Interesting Bear Fact: A group of bears is called a sloth.

Other Wildlife Sightings: Several mountain lions have been reported throughout the park.
Re: Bear Activity
July 16, 2015 02:19PM
Bear cans being rolled away as going downhill or the bear actively rolling it away? Gee I might start storing my bear can closer now haha
Re: Bear Activity
July 16, 2015 02:35PM
You know since we are also on the topic of bears, I have a question regarding them. I ran into a bear and it's cub this past weekend around Kibbie and wasn't entirely sure what to do. I understand that you're supposed to talk and hike and if you run into a bear stand "firm" and make noises but does that still apply when it's a bear and cub? In the case of my encounter, we just made a wide quiet detour around the two.

Thanks!
Kevin
July 16, 2015 02:47PM
I've chase a mother bear away not even knowing she had a cub. Took her 15 minutes to come back for him.
July 16, 2015 03:16PM
eeek
I've chase a mother bear away not even knowing she had a cub. Took her 15 minutes to come back for him.

Lucky for you she didn't charge you in defense of her cub.

July 16, 2015 04:22PM
plawrence
Lucky for you she didn't charge you in defense of her cub.

Bull.
July 16, 2015 03:14PM
KevinD

In the case of my encounter, we just made a wide quiet detour around the two.

In regards to Yosemite black bears while you're out hiking, what you did is exactly what you should have done. Giving the mother and her cub a wide berth is the best plan when possible.

July 16, 2015 03:25PM
eeek

If you see a bear during your visit please report it to the Save-A-Bear Hotline at 209-372-0322.

Red Bear, Dead Bear: So far this year, five bears have been hit by vehicles. Please protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and paying attention while driving..

I wonder why NPS only publicizes the number of bears that have been hit by vehicles and not, let say, deer (which I wouldn't be surprised if deer have had more collisions with vehicles within Yosemite National Park than bears).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login