Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: TM gas station closing!?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TM gas station closing!?
August 05, 2015 01:16PM
YIKES! looks like another big story I missed. anyone point me to the original thread on here (if there is one). thanks.Vulture
August 05, 2015 04:23PM
Possible/probable closures with new Yosemite Concessionaire Contract?

http://www.myyosemite.com/content/services-removed-new-yosemite-concessionaire-contract-2016
August 05, 2015 05:29PM
KenS

http://www.myyosemite.com/content/services-removed-new-yosemite-concessionaire-contract-2016

Aren't most of these changes a result of the Merced and Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River management plans, and not the change of concessionaire? Of course, it is expected that the new concessionaire would be responsible for implementing the parts of these plans that involve concessionaire-operated facilities--one of the reasons the DNC contract was extended until these plans were finalized.
avatar Re: TM gas station closing!?
August 05, 2015 07:04PM
I agree that it is a result of the long suffering new management plan. looking at the maps and the pink "buildings to be removed", it includes the old Superintendent's house a couple hundred yards south of the road at the Yosemite Falls bus stop.

Too bad...its a really cool old house with lots of history. And I don't think that the new concessionaire had anything to do with that decision!
August 05, 2015 10:17PM
Bearproof

I agree that it is a result of the long suffering new management plan. looking at the maps and the pink "buildings to be removed", it includes the old Superintendent's house a couple hundred yards south of the road at the Yosemite Falls bus stop.

Too bad...its a really cool old house with lots of history. And I don't think that the new concessionaire had anything to do with that decision!

I hope they just relocate it to the Pioneer Village at Wawona. (It might actually be safer sited there since it won't get damaged when Yosemite Valley floods again.

August 06, 2015 12:28PM
Bearproof

During the whole planning process of the Merced River Plan from start to finish, I attended some public meetings and did all the reading of the plans and commented during the public commenting periods. I can't tell you how many times I brought up the Old Superintendent's House and how I thought they should restore it and either keep it where it is or move it. At one meeting I even mentioned that I knew of a contractor that specialized in restoring buildings of that period that have been damaged by earthquakes or floods. Also, the NPS has people that specialize in building restoration and they wouldn't even have to hire an outside company. It really saddens me when historic structures, such as the Foster-Curry cabin after the 2008 rockfall, have been removed when they could have been restored and put to other uses. I even asked about buying and moving out of the park one of the historic Curry cabins that was not damaged by the rockfall and was told they were not for sell and that they would be documented and then torn down.
August 12, 2015 09:35AM
They will remove the old buildings without hesitation.....but get rid of a few tent cabins at Curry......GOD FORBID!!!!
I have not been in the Valley for over 10 years but just got back. I could have sworn there used to be a picnic sign and picnic table at Cascade Falls Parking Lot off 140. Now there is not even a sign on the bridge at the falls or a sign at the parking lot for Cascade Falls.
I thought there was also a picnic table sign at Devils Elbow Picnic Area (which is the main parking lot for climbers) and now there is nothing....I always like to hike to the base of El Cap but this time I came close to driving right by the picnic spot because I was looking for the old sign.

I don't get it....they can relocate Curry Village but they can't keep up a few simple signs?
August 14, 2015 02:29PM
Curious Hiker
They will remove the old buildings without hesitation.....but get rid of a few tent cabins at Curry......GOD FORBID!!!!
I have not been in the Valley for over 10 years but just got back. I could have sworn there used to be a picnic sign and picnic table at Cascade Falls Parking Lot off 140. Now there is not even a sign on the bridge at the falls or a sign at the parking lot for Cascade Falls.
I thought there was also a picnic table sign at Devils Elbow Picnic Area (which is the main parking lot for climbers) and now there is nothing....I always like to hike to the base of El Cap but this time I came close to driving right by the picnic spot because I was looking for the old sign.

I don't get it....they can relocate Curry Village but they can't keep up a few simple signs?

The Devil's Elbow picnic area has been removed. it was too close to the Merced River and it's popularity caused degradation to the Merced River's banks. The success of the restoration was noted (with photographs) during the presentations of the Park Service gave during the Merced River Plan planning process.

August 06, 2015 12:10PM
KenS

I don't know anything about the new concessionaire but the removal of services are not because the contract is changing.

The decision to remove the gas station is because of the Tuolumne Wild and Scenic River Plan. If you are interested you can find information of the changes in that area here: http://www.nps.gov/yose/getinvolved/trp_feis.htm Beware it is a lot of reading, and I read all the documents for the whole planning process from start to the final decision but I can't remember what pages it is on and don't have time right now to look.

The same with changes in the Valley like the raft rentals, parking, ice rink, etc. They are because of the Merced River Plan which you can find at this link: http://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/mrp.htm
August 12, 2015 09:40AM
Remember, these plans are NEVER created by people who use the park. There are created by major companies that are headquarted 1000s of miles away.
August 14, 2015 01:46PM
Curious Hiker
Remember, these plans are NEVER created by people who use the park. There are created by major companies that are headquarted 1000s of miles away.

I agree that the plans are never created by people who use the park and we are only able to comment on what they come up with and what we want is not always what happens. However, I am not sure what major companies you are referring to. While they might use outside consultants on things, the plans are created by NPS employees.
February 09, 2016 02:51PM
Is the gas station indeed gone?

What about the one at Crane Flat?
February 09, 2016 03:08PM
hotrod4x5
Is the gas station indeed gone?

What about the one at Crane Flat?

The T Meadows gas station closed for good on 9/15/15. I don't know if they started removing the building yet. The Crane Flat gas station will remain opened.
February 09, 2016 04:46PM
Wasn't the sport shop in the gas station building?
February 09, 2016 04:52PM
The pumps were already removed by October 1st last year (Yosemite's NP birthday.) There were bulldozers at work when we passed by. (And it was snowing!)

edit: excavators (looked at the photo) and the building was still standing, at least then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2016 04:59PM by hikerchick395.
August 05, 2015 10:19PM
No more shuttles for now in TM? Who do we need to contact to encourage the continuation of this service!! Thankfully my planned trip is in Sept and I can still catch the shuttle!
August 07, 2015 08:03PM
We rode the free hiker bus back to our rental car at cathedral lakes the and the shuttle around stops on Tioga Rd. Both drivers said to comment to the superintendent as they were being ceased. I guess the more people that comment may make a difference as it is a needed service due to lack of parking .
August 07, 2015 08:14PM
Would a petition . org be useful in swaying their mind??
August 08, 2015 10:38AM
KevinD

For the closing of the gas station highly doubtful. I don't know if you are familiar with the whole process of getting a plan from start to finish but it is pretty extensive and lasts many years and there are times during this process where the information is available to the public both in the written form, internet and in public meetings and then they ask for public comments. The removal of the gas station was bantered about quite a lot. People complained about the removal of the gas station in the valley when it was announced it was going to be removed and it still happened. As for extending the shuttle service, I would get as many people as you can to write to the superintendent. I have not heard about anyone using petition.org with the NPS before so I don't know if it would work or not.
August 08, 2015 11:17AM
KevinD

Honestly, this is a serious question. Has any petitions on petition.org actually caused any change of any government policy?

In regards to the shuttle bus funding, write to the superintendent of Yosemite National Park.

Mail your letter to:

Superintendent Don Neubacher
Attn: Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus
P.O. BOX 577
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA 95389-0577

August 08, 2015 07:16PM
plawrence
KevinD

Honestly, this is a serious question. Has any petitions on petition.org actually caused any change of any government policy?

In regards to the shuttle bus funding, write to the superintendent of Yosemite National Park.

Mail your letter to:

Superintendent Don Neubacher
Attn: Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus
P.O. BOX 577
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, CA 95389-0577

Hmmm that is a good question!

Not so worried about the tm gas station, would just prefer to keep the hikers bus/shuttles running in TM sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login