Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Star Trek 5 - Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 18, 2015 02:54PM
Was this scene shot on El Capitan, elsewhere in Yosemite or outside of the park?

August 18, 2015 02:57PM
maybe it was in a part of the park where no man has gone before
avatar Re: Star Trek 5 - Yosemite
August 18, 2015 03:01PM
looks real to me

it has that yosemite plastic polished granite sheen

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 18, 2015 03:07PM
chick-on
looks real to me

The initial views of the scene look more like from Tunnel View than El Capitan, though.
August 18, 2015 03:13PM
plawrence
chick-on
looks real to me

The initial views of the scene look more like from Tunnel View than El Capitan, though.

I was yoking...

8 seconds in... it's the correct view...

then later Bridalveil suddenly shows up...
to the east of El Cap.

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
August 18, 2015 04:49PM
I noticed a whole bunch of cameras filming last January in the El Cap meadow area...this must have been what they were shooting.

Oh, what...it was Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson? Never mind.
August 18, 2015 08:50PM
For the beginning of that sequence where Spock is talking to Kirk they had a mock up of El Cap set up in the parking lot at the tunnel. If you look closely you can see a corner of the real El Cap in the background. Long shots of Kirk climbing were done by stunt doubles on El Cap. The long shot of Kirk falling was done by Ken Bates who set a record for the highest American descender fall by actually falling off of El Cap with a wire support rig. They later shot Shatner falling against a blue screen in the Paramount studio. They also shot in other areas in Yosemite including Inspiration Point. I missed the filming in Yosemite by just a week.
August 19, 2015 11:04AM
parklover
For the beginning of that sequence where Spock is talking to Kirk they had a mock up of El Cap set up in the parking lot at the tunnel. If you look closely you can see a corner of the real El Cap in the background. Long shots of Kirk climbing were done by stunt doubles on El Cap. The long shot of Kirk falling was done by Ken Bates who set a record for the highest American descender fall by actually falling off of El Cap with a wire support rig. They later shot Shatner falling against a blue screen in the Paramount studio. They also shot in other areas in Yosemite including Inspiration Point. I missed the filming in Yosemite by just a week.

Thanks for all the background information. It did look like it was from Tunnel View (at least some of the shots with Kirk hanging from "the cliff".

August 19, 2015 08:17AM
Boy that's bad acting

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 19, 2015 11:50AM
Well, I can see half dome in the distance so I think it was shot from Turlock.....
August 19, 2015 12:19PM
The Other Tom
Well, I can see half dome in the distance so I think it was shot from Turlock.....

Nah... From Turlock, one would see more of the face of Half Dome. wink

August 20, 2015 01:36PM
The one odd thing about Star Trek 5 was how few people there were in Yosemite Valley. They're also apparently doing dispersed camping in Yosemite Valley.

August 20, 2015 06:55PM
what time of year did they film this? If they were building mockups of El Cap in the Tunnel View parking lot, I would guess they were restricting traffic coming through the Tunnel as well. Even if this were very much off season, it must have been a big hassle. Frankly, I'm kind of appalled that this was allowed (I mean, it's not like Yosemite needs more publicity!)
August 20, 2015 07:02PM
Sure a lot of trouble for such a bad movie.
August 20, 2015 09:42PM
It was filmed in Oct 1988 so there was not that many people around. I was camping there a week later so I missed the filming and, since I had started watching Star Trek when the TV show started, I was disappointed to find out when I was there that they had allowed people to watch them film parts of it. You would be amazed how many movies have been filmed in Yosemite. Most recently is one called Yosemite that stars James Franco and was released this year. There has even been a discussion of this in a thread here. http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,12266,73594

A lot movies have been filmed in Yosemite and other national parks. They don't do it for the publicity but for the money. It has been going probably since there have been movies made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 09:43PM by parklover.
August 21, 2015 07:17AM
Parts of Maverick were filmed in Yosemite. Some of the location jumps are quite amusing.
August 21, 2015 11:28AM
Found several photos on the internet that show the shooting location when they were filming at the Tunnel View parking lot:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login