Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Tenaya Fire Update, Afternoon, September 8, 2015

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Tenaya Fire Update, Afternoon, September 8, 2015
September 08, 2015 03:37PM
The smoke visible in the Yosemite Valley is coming from the Tenaya Fire, which is located in Indian Canyon above the north rim of the Valley on both sides of the Lehamite trail, between the Valley and Tioga Road. The fire was discovered last night and is currently estimated at 100 acres. The fire is spotting among dead trees creating much of the large smoke plume we are seeing in Yosemite Valley.

Full suppression efforts are underway. Two 20-person Type-1 hand crews are on scene. Four air tankers and two helicopters are also assisting. Temperatures are expected to drop tonight which should help firefighting efforts. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Smokey conditions are likely to persist over the next few days.
avatar Re: Tenaya Fire Update, Afternoon, September 8, 2015
September 08, 2015 07:01PM
eeek
The smoke visible in the Yosemite Valley is coming from the Tenaya Fire, which is located in Indian Canyon above the north rim of the Valley on both sides of the Lehamite trail, between the Valley and Tioga Road. The fire was discovered last night and is currently estimated at 100 acres. The fire is spotting among dead trees creating much of the large smoke plume we are seeing in Yosemite Valley.

Full suppression efforts are underway. Two 20-person Type-1 hand crews are on scene. Four air tankers and two helicopters are also assisting. Temperatures are expected to drop tonight which should help firefighting efforts. The cause of the fire is under investigation. Smokey conditions are likely to persist over the next few days.

Trails on the north rim of Yosemite Valley south of the Tioga Road and east of Yosemite Creek, to near Olmsted Point, are closed according to the NPS.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/Tenaya-Fire.htm

September 08, 2015 07:54PM
I have reservations at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge next week through next weekend. Trying to summit Clouds Rest that weekend. Crap. Third year I've tried to summit CR and had a fire ruin the plans. I'm thinking this fire 'probably' will not be out by then. I need to cancel my tents by Thursday this week.
Re: Tenaya Fire Update, Afternoon, September 8, 2015
September 09, 2015 12:07PM
Paris92
I have reservations at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge next week through next weekend. Trying to summit Clouds Rest that weekend. Crap. Third year I've tried to summit CR and had a fire ruin the plans. I'm thinking this fire 'probably' will not be out by then. I need to cancel my tents by Thursday this week.

Hopefully they'll be able to keep this latest fire in check. Maybe Sunrise TH remains open? Though it won't be pleasant driving through the area, and the views will be affected. Cross your fingers that there won't be any unforeseen Santa Ana-type winds. If fire gets big enough, the Tioga season might be finished (at least for most people).

Summitting from the valley is an option, though it's tougher.
September 09, 2015 03:31PM
Here's the link to the InciWeb page for the Tenaya fire: http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4604

September 09, 2015 06:11PM
Here's a map that shows the location of where the fire started:
September 09, 2015 08:39PM
Thank you for this most valuable information. Much appreciation to all.
Re: Tenaya Fire Update, Afternoon, September 8, 2015
September 09, 2015 10:04PM
Ill hopefully be exiting cathedral lakes on the 17th (starting at rafferty) so hoping the fire stays contained....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login