Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (61% of Full)

Advanced

Re: On the way to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

On the way to Yosemite
October 08, 2015 11:02AM
Hi, my first post on this great forum.
I'm heading to Yosemite in a couple of days; my first visit ever. We will be driving from Oakland airport and will need to pick up groceries, lunch, and denatured alcohol on the way. Any suggestions where to do this?
October 08, 2015 11:36AM
There is a store in Yosemite Valley that's reasonably well stocked, and Degnan's isn't bad for lunch (except it can be very crowded), but I generally stop at the Raley's in Oakdale on the way in. I don't know if they have denatured alcohol, though--but I think I've seen it in Yosemite wherever camp/backpacking fuels are sold (such as the mountaineering store in Curry Village).
avatar Re: On the way to Yosemite
October 08, 2015 12:03PM
The most direct route from Oakland to Yosemite is via I-580 to I-205 to I-5 to Hwy 120.

Via this route, for groceries there's a Raley's and a Save Mart Supermarket in Oakdale (the last major community between Oakland and Yosemite). For denatured alcohol and other camping supplies, there's an REI store in Dublin near the I-580/I-680 interchange, and a Bass Pro Shop right off Hwy 120 in Manteca.

October 08, 2015 12:09PM
Thanks plawrence
October 08, 2015 12:07PM
Thanks basilbop. We're spending a week in the Park; the middle 3 days backpacking and the rest dayhiking out of Curry. We were going to pick up stuff for trail lunches on the way in. I had assumed poor selection / high prices on groceries in-park.
October 08, 2015 12:28PM
Will17109
I had assumed poor selection / high prices on groceries in-park.

The selection of groceries (and even camping and backpacking supplies) inside the park is fine, though the prices are a bit higher than what you can find outside of the park at the major outdoor outfitter stores.

October 08, 2015 12:58PM
Good to know. I assume the in-park stores are still open through next week?
October 08, 2015 03:03PM
The Yosemite Village Store (located in Yosemite Village) and Yosemite Mountain Shop (located in Curry Village) are open all year. That only thing that changes is their store hours (they close earlier during the off season).

October 09, 2015 01:50AM
Will17109
Hi, my first post on this great forum.
I'm heading to Yosemite in a couple of days; my first visit ever. We will be driving from Oakland airport and will need to pick up groceries, lunch, and denatured alcohol on the way. Any suggestions where to do this?

The other responders have covered it pretty well on groceries. Denatured alcohol has been available in every hardware store I've ever tried. This one, in Oakdale, should be only a few blocks off your most likely route: http://www.acehardware.com/mystore/index.jsp?store=10656&cid=localstore10656

On the map at that site, you'd be coming into town on 120 from the NW and leaving town on 108-120 to the (roughly) ENE.

Better gas up in Big Oak Flat or thereabouts. Beyond there, gas gets more expensive and there's none at all in Yosemite Valley.

--------------------
Uh-oh -- that map at the hardware store's website is wrong! It shows the store on B Street but it's actually on F street (a.k.a. 120 and 108) -- right on your route.

Better map here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 12:53PM by gophersnake.
October 09, 2015 01:30PM
Thanks for the info. We'll definitely stop in Oakdale. Hard to believe that tomorrow evening we'll be there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 01:31PM by Will17109.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login