Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: May Lake

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 09, 2015 03:37PM
i was browsing the internet and came across May Lake, it looks absolutely beautiful, and had great reviews from visitors.

if i'm coming 120 highway, how do i get there? and is it closed during the winter? (the roads etc).

thanks a ton
October 09, 2015 04:13PM
forrestranger
if i'm coming 120 highway, how do i get there? and is it closed during the winter? (the roads etc).

You take the May Lake turnoff from Tioga Road so it's definitely closed in Winter. Here's a map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.823921,-119.512668&z=14&t=t4
October 09, 2015 04:47PM
forrestranger
i was browsing the internet and came across May Lake, it looks absolutely beautiful, and had great reviews from visitors.

thanks a ton

It's easily accessible only when Tioga Road is open. If you want to stay overnight there, you can enter the lottery now to reserve a spot at the May Lake High Sierra Camp next summer.

October 09, 2015 05:50PM
plawrence
It's easily accessible only when Tioga Road is open.

No, it's not. May Lake road is not always open and there is a hike beyond the end of the road.
October 09, 2015 07:01PM
eeek
plawrence
It's easily accessible only when Tioga Road is open.

No, it's not. May Lake road is not always open and there is a hike beyond the end of the road.

I guess we then differ on the definition of what "easily accessible" means in regards to the Yosemite backcountry.

Even if the Old Tioga Road (May Lake Road) is closed at its junction with Tioga Road (Hwy 120), I still consider May Lake easily accessible, even with the additional 1.8 miles of hiking on a closed road and an additional 440' of elevation gain.

So one is either looking at a 2.5 mile roundtrip hike with about a 500' elevation gain if May Lake Road is open to the trailhead, or a 6.1 mile roundtrip hike with about a 950' elevation gain if May Lake Road (the Old Tioga Road) happens to be closed. Still easily accessible in my eyes.

YMMV of course.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login