All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar 140 years ago today in Yosemite...
October 12, 2015 03:10PM
Geroge G. Anderson summited Half Dome! The first known person to climb to its top!

“The knowledge that the feat of climbing this grand mountain had on several occasions been attempted, but never with success, begat in him an irrepressible determination to succeed in such an enterprise. Imbued with this incentive, he made his way to its base; and, looking up its smooth and steeply inclined surface, at once set about the difficult exploit. Finding that he could not keep from sliding with his boots on, he tried it in his stocking feet; but as this did not secure a triumph, he tried it barefooted, and still was unsuccessful. Then he tied sacking upon his feet and legs, but as these did not secure the desired object, he covered it with pitch, obtained from pine trees near; and although this enabled him to adhere firmly to the smooth granite, and effectually prevented him from slipping, a new difficulty presented itself in the great effort required to unstick himself; and which came near proving fatal several times.

Mortified by the failure of all his plans hitherto, yet in no way discouraged, he procured drills and a hammer, with some iron eye-bolts, and drilled a hole in the solid rock; into this he drove a wooden pin, and then an eye-bolt; and after fastening a rope to the bolt, pulled himself up until he could stand upon it; and thence continued that process until he had finally gained the top—a distance of nine hundred and seventy-five feet! All honor, then, to the intrepid and skillful mountaineer, Geo. G. Anderson, who, defying and overcoming all obstacles, and at the peril of his life, accomplished that in which all others had signally failed; and thus became the first to plant his foot upon the exalted crown of the great Half Dome.”
James M. Hutchings, "In the Heart of the Sierras" (1888)

Re: 140 years ago today in Yosemite...
October 13, 2015 08:07AM
Of course, this begs the question: if that's George Anderson on top of Half Dome, who took the picture? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 13, 2015 10:01AM
I was wondering about that also. Aliens? Pink chickens?
October 13, 2015 10:11AM
avatar Re: 140 years ago today in Yosemite...
October 13, 2015 10:23AM
parklover
I was wondering about that also. Aliens? Pink chickens?

Does time travel turn chickens pink?
October 13, 2015 01:42PM
One never knows.
October 13, 2015 10:12AM
DavidK42
Of course, this begs the question: if that's George Anderson on top of Half Dome, who took the picture? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Anderson's first ascent was in Oct 12, 1875 @ 3PM. But according to the aforementioned Hutchings' book, the photo was taken by S.C. Walker in 1877. Anderson brought Walker and Hutchings along.
October 13, 2015 11:27AM
Actually did assume it was something like that. Given the amount of reading I've done about that point in the Valley's history, I'm surprised I've not seen (or at least don't remember seeing) that particular picture before. I also notice that there seems to be a fair amount of re-arrangement of the slabs on the Visor...certainly recognizable as the same feature but, in particular, the spot where Anderson is standing seems like it was significantly smaller then than now (or is it just due to a minor difference in the angle of the two photos?).
October 13, 2015 01:44PM
I assumed it was taken later also but the idea of a pink chicken going back in time was more fun. I have never seen that picture either but then there are probably a lot of other old pictures taken pertaining to historical events that I have not seen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login