Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Blasting Operations December 1st-3rd

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Blasting Operations December 1st-3rd
November 30, 2015 01:07PM
Trails is planning on blasting operations at Mirror Lake and on the west side of water tank service road (above Happy Isles) December 1st-3rd.
avatar Re: Blasting Operations December 1st-3rd
November 30, 2015 08:13PM
I thought the Mirror Lake trail clearing from the rockslide finished up a few years ago.
December 01, 2015 04:44PM
The rocks there are alive. Turn your back, and some are on top of the trail again....
December 04, 2015 04:12PM
Between the daytime blasting and the evening/night ice falls, it's been a rather "noisy" visit. The wildlife is behaving badly in Upper Pines also. I love this place!
December 29, 2015 10:29AM
I was wondering if anyone knew if the loop trail around Mirror Lake is opened? I've done it once after the slide a number of years ago, then wen back 2 years ago and saw it was closed. I'm planning on being there over New Year's, and was looking for a nice simple hike in the cold crisp conditions. Any other nice Valley winter trails (marked or not) would be very much welcomed!
avatar Re: Blasting Operations December 1st-3rd
December 29, 2015 12:12PM
hulkman75
I was wondering if anyone knew if the loop trail around Mirror Lake is opened?

It is currently open. But I'd certainly use a traction aid to avoid slipping on ice.
December 29, 2015 12:31PM
The Mirror Lake loop was open Thanksgiving.

One nice valley hike that is usually free of crowds is the western valley loop: start at the Lodge/Camp 4 area (there is day use parking near here), head towards El Cap, continue to and across the Pohono Bridge, loop back to Bridalveil Fall, then return to the Lodge area either via Swinging or Superintendent's Bridge (between the chapel and Yosemite Falls). You'll generally see people only near El Cap, Bridalveil, and near the Lodge area. If you are short on time you can cut the loop short near El Cap, where the "crossover" road is.
December 29, 2015 04:45PM
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. We have our Yak Trax packed already. Have a great New Year's everyone!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login