Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (77% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Hey guys, be careful out there...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hey guys, be careful out there...
January 07, 2016 02:38PM
avatar Re: Hey guys, be careful out there...
January 07, 2016 04:49PM
Here's the link to the video from the rescue helicopter (which can be viewed in HD on Facebook.

video: https://www.facebook.com/CHPCentralDivisionAirOps/videos/977081772358818/

January 08, 2016 10:49AM
Are any of the trails to Nevada Falls officially open right now? Hope the woman makes a full recovery.
January 08, 2016 01:25PM
The winter route up to Little Yosemite Valley is almost always open: you take the JMT from the Vernal Fall bridge up to Clark Point, then drop to the top of Vernal Fall, then go up the mist trail to Nevada Fall. If it has snowed recently the route could be icy--microspikes and/or snowshoes may be required for safe travel.
January 08, 2016 02:36PM
January 10, 2016 08:36PM
basilbop
the route could be icy--microspikes and/or snowshoes may be required for safe travel.

(I do not know what exactly happened in this particular instance, my advice below is general.)

From now until I'm convinced I won't need them, I'll be carrying Kahtoola microspikes and/or snowshoes. If I'm unsure about snowshoes, the spikes go on my shoes or in the pack. If I'm sure snowshoes will be all that's required, I'll leave the Kahtoolas behind.

But even with those... Things can go wrong.

But going without either is just plain silly (other words come to mind), in my book. So please be prepared. And respect the terrain.

And thank you to SAR for helping when accidents happen!
January 08, 2016 03:47PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Are any of the trails to Nevada Falls officially open right now? Hope the woman makes a full recovery.

If you look closely in the beginning at the Facebook HD video clip from the CHP (that I posted the linked to) I think it's clear that she fell on the portion of Mist Trail (that's part of open "Winter Route" ) that climbs the canyon wall just north of Nevada Fall. As best I can tell, she slipped very near where the Mist Trail officially enter the Yosemite Wilderness. Those more familiar with the portion of the trail could probably pinpoint the spot.

January 08, 2016 11:27PM
plawrence
Ohnivy-Drak

If you look closely in the beginning at the Facebook HD video clip from the CHP (that I posted the linked to) I think it's clear that she fell on the portion of Mist Trail (that's part of open "Winter Route" ) that climbs the canyon wall just north of Nevada Fall. As best I can tell, she slipped very near where the Mist Trail officially enter the Yosemite Wilderness. Those more familiar with the portion of the trail could probably pinpoint the spot.

I too was wondering where she fell. Looks like she was airlifted from from the bathrooms where the Mist Trail ends and connects with the regular trail to LYV (john muir trail). If she was unable to walk and they didn't send a litter team up there and therefore move her the shortest possible distance, it must have just been below there. The last few switchbacks do have some steep walls. My guess would be see slipped somewhere on these switchbacks Google Streetview (First time I've used the trail street view option of google maps. Kind of odd but useful in this case. Also, anyone else notice and get annoyed with how google maps is now try to display trees in 3d formats on it's satellite imagery? It looks really weird, is distracting, not helpful at all and makes it harder to look at the imagines)
January 10, 2016 05:25PM
The pickup location was here, as buster says on the flat area just a few feet northeast of the outhouse.

Hard to know where she fell without official details, the face itself looked icy in the video and the upper half has steep switchbacks, then there's a final set of switchbacks in the trees just before the top.

Hoping for a good recovery...
January 11, 2016 04:18PM
buster
Also, anyone else notice and get annoyed with how google maps is now try to display trees in 3d formats on it's satellite imagery? It looks really weird, is distracting, not helpful at all and makes it harder to look at the imagines)

I've been wanting to mention that. I just posted some more about it here: http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?1,82792
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login