Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Would you rather....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Would you rather....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 14, 2016 03:01PM
Would you rather have a burger from Whitney Portal Store after a LONG hike or backpacking trip

or...

Pizza from Curry Village Pizza Patio

None of these are my pictures, they never seem to stick around long enough for a photo shoot.
January 14, 2016 03:10PM
What about the ice cream at curry!
January 14, 2016 04:59PM
While the Whitney Portal burger is awfully good---nothing beats Curry Pizza Deck!

SaveCurryPizzaDeck
avatar Re: Would you rather....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
January 14, 2016 08:05PM
chicagocwright
While the Whitney Portal burger is awfully good---nothing beats Curry Pizza Deck!

SaveCurryPizzaDeck

We're sorry, the work "Pizza" is now a trademark of DNC and you must pay a zillion dollars to mention it.
January 14, 2016 08:08PM
eeek
chicagocwright

SaveCurryPizzaDeck

We're sorry, the work "Pizza" is now a trademark of DNC and you must pay a zillion dollars to mention it.

That is hilarious!!
January 14, 2016 08:18PM
Cant we have both?
January 15, 2016 01:10AM
Looks like you are hiking the JMT along with everyone else. I would say neither because I try to avoid the JMT if possible and it would seem silly to pass up one of your choices to drive 5 hours to the other. I think proximity to my hiking exit point is way more important than perceived quality. As long as the food is up to minimum standards (like at least a 6/10), whatever is closest usually wins. Now where it gets interesting is where different food establishments are close to each other. (Though realistically, the time of day, when I last ate, when I'll get home and if a nice meal will be waiting at home for me are all large considerations)
January 15, 2016 03:57AM
Yosemite is Butter

Chick-on is looking at you!

tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
January 15, 2016 08:49AM
Personally I think the pizza after a day hike to HD hit the spot more than the burger after Mt. Whitney. Altitude maybe...
January 15, 2016 10:16AM
Lord, have mercy....

January 15, 2016 08:09PM
AnotherDave
Lord, have mercy....

Now we are talking!!
January 18, 2016 12:07PM
My choice is a plate of fries and a beer at Whitney Portal Store then Pizza Factory in Lone Pine (and more beer)
January 18, 2016 04:22PM
hikerchick395
My choice is a plate of fries and a beer at Whitney Portal Store then Pizza Factory in Lone Pine (and more beer)

I've only tried Pizza Factory once and the wait for the pizza was quite long....and pricey! I'll give em one more try this season!
January 18, 2016 04:42PM
KevinD
I've only tried Pizza Factory once and the wait for the pizza was quite long....and pricey! I'll give em one more try this season!

The one in Bishop is okay; the one in Lone Pine is not so good (nor, IMNSHO, very clean).
January 19, 2016 10:37AM
eeek
KevinD

The one in Bishop is okay; the one in Lone Pine is not so good (nor, IMNSHO, very clean).

How to those two compare to the Pizza Factory located in Groveland?

January 19, 2016 07:04PM
plawrence
eeek
KevinD

How to those two compare to the Pizza Factory located in Groveland?

I have not eaten at the one in Groveland but I thing that the one in Bishop is better than the ones in Lone Pine and Oakhurst.
January 19, 2016 07:08PM
The one in Bishop is certainly much better (and lower priced) than Lone Pine.
January 20, 2016 09:45AM
I'll agree that the one in Bishop is the best. I only have patronized Lone Pine when coming off of Mount Whitney. Have tried Pizza Factorys in Mariposa (I think that corner burned down,) Oakhurst, Placerville, and Coeur d' Alene. Coeur d' Alene was second best and way less expensive than California.
June 24, 2016 02:09PM
Any word on the quality of the Aramark Half Dome Village pizza? Is Degnan's still better?
June 24, 2016 04:18PM
Sierra Miguel
Any word on the quality of the Aramark Half Dome Village pizza? Is Degnan's still better?
I had Degnan's pizza last weekend and it was still good. They did add some Asian rice bowls to their menu but since I am allergic to soy I didn't try them. I had some bad Curry pizza incidences so I have not had Curry pizza for a few years. Since the concessionaire change I have had Degnan's pizza and sandwiches, food at Badger and the food is still the same. The Mountain Room even has the same menu choices and the same head chef so nothing new there yet.
June 24, 2016 07:18PM
BLASPHEMY!

Curry Pizza is the BEST!

SAVE CURRY PIZZA DECK
June 24, 2016 08:04PM
chicagocwright
Curry Pizza is the BEST!

If you have anything to do with Chicago, you know that's blasphemy.

SAVE CURRY PIZZA DECK

Is it some in-joke that this link is broken? Trademark issues?
June 24, 2016 11:45PM
chicagocwright
BLASPHEMY!

Curry Pizza is the BEST!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Curry Village Pizza Deck is no more. It's been replaced by the Half Dome Village Pizza Deck. tongue sticking out smiley

Curry Pizza
pizza slice

Leave No Trace
June 24, 2016 09:12PM
Half Dome Village? Is that Curry Village?
June 24, 2016 11:46PM
LRK

Yes, that WAS Curry Village.

Leave No Trace
June 25, 2016 12:58PM
plawrence
LRK

Yes, that WAS Curry Village.

And that WAS Camp Curry.
June 25, 2016 01:18PM
It was and is Curry Pizza. But due to Delaware North's attempt to hijack the name "Curry Village" in connection with hotel and restaurant services, the operator of the pizzeria (Aramark? presumably Aramark) has apparently decided to temporarily change the name to "Half Dome Village Pizza" until NPS' litigation with DNC is resolved.

Note that even if DNC's putative ownership rights in the Curry Village trademark are (mistakently) upheld, DNC would only have a cause of action against someone who runs a hotel or restaurant which includes "Curry Village" in the name of the establishment; DNC would not have a cause of action against third parties (like people who post in this forum) who merely continue to refer in print to someplace as Curry Village and to the pizzeria as Curry Village Pizza Deck. Which is what I urge everyone in this forum to continue to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 01:24PM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
June 25, 2016 08:35AM
Had pizza on our campout in May. The pizza from Half Dome Village Pizza Deck was good because we brought a cheese pizza back to camp, put on barbequed veggies and a can of anchovies, then heated pieces on the barbeque...smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 08:36AM by hikerchick395.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login