Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: The road to Yosemite (from bay area)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The road to Yosemite (from bay area)
February 09, 2016 06:53PM
I thought it would be fun to see what people find interesting along the road to Yosemite. I'll fill in five and the next person can fill in five more, till we have no more to add. :-) We drive there from the north bay, but the interesting parts are from 99 on.

-Manteca: Bass Pro shop, fun stop, learned about it thanks to this group

-Orange blossom road, (avoiding Oakdale). Like the Victorian style home that looks like a doll house (pink siding or pink deck, something like that). I like orange blossom road; I find it quite relaxing.

-Sonora Rd (to knights ferry), the middle point where there are fig trees and mulberry trees. Have enjoyed the mulberries when in season. Had less luck with the figs. Also enjoy getting airborne sometimes on that road.

- Knights ferry ice cream parlor

- Knights ferry bridge and the water district (?) visitor center
avatar Re: The road to Yosemite (from bay area)
February 09, 2016 08:10PM
Old Priest Grade
Rainbow Pool and Bridge
Highway 120 Rim of the World Vista Point
Vista Points overlooking Don Pedro Lake
Groveland tourist zone
February 11, 2016 10:54AM
love Rainbow Pool! if you don't know where to find it, you'll drive right past it without knowing it. lol

if i remember right, isn't it right before a sign saying "Cherry Lake Rd" (on the left side of the road)?

if you drove over the bridge, you went too far, it is immediately before the bridge (on the right)
February 11, 2016 01:52PM
The river on the other side of the road is even better:

Middle Fork of the Tuolumne River plunging into the South Fork

South Fork on the Tuolumne River downstream from Rainbow Pool

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.823667,-120.015571&z=16&t=t4
February 12, 2016 03:21AM
Rainbow Pool and Bridge

Downstream to the bridge and waterfall

End of the road at the old water tube crossingt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 03:31AM by qumqats.
February 10, 2016 06:38AM
Fisher Farms produce stand at 120 and French Camp Road.
The old horse corral below Jamestown, which dates back well over 100 years
Rim of the World turnout---now Rim Fire recovery
Big Creek Shaft Road...never been down it, love the name
Old Priest Grade Café...quite a story

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 12, 2016 08:03PM
balzaccom
Fisher Farms produce stand at 120 and French Camp Road.
The old horse corral below Jamestown, which dates back well over 100 years
Rim of the World turnout---now Rim Fire recovery
Big Creek Shaft Road...never been down it, love the name
Old Priest Grade Café...quite a story

wow, three new ones for me to check out. don't know French camp rd, don't know the horse corral, or big creek shaft rd.
February 10, 2016 08:54AM
The old west townsite of Hill Valley from Back to the Future part III
Swimming in the Rainbow Pool and watching nuts jump off the rocks (often dangerously)
Waiting in long lines at the entrance gate sometimes
February 10, 2016 10:10AM
The high freeway overpass section - Highway 4, from 99 to 5
French Camp Rd cutoff...stopping for fresh produce at the local farm shacks
Waiting for that long 120 left turn light, outside Escalon...cheapest gas
The high derrick timber mill complex...thousands of stacked trees
Crossing the Don Pedro Reservoir bridge
Moccasin and Early Intake
Hardin Flat - (describes my ex GF)
The three tunnels,last downhill into Yosemite Valley
February 12, 2016 08:04PM
markskor
The high freeway overpass section - Highway 4, from 99 to 5
French Camp Rd cutoff...stopping for fresh produce at the local farm shacks
Waiting for that long 120 left turn light, outside Escalon...cheapest gas
The high derrick timber mill complex...thousands of stacked trees
Crossing the Don Pedro Reservoir bridge
Moccasin and Early Intake
Hardin Flat - (describes my ex GF)
The three tunnels,last downhill into Yosemite Valley

Here it is French Camp Rd, never been there. Never driven highway 4 either; time to try these. Can't quite picture what Hardin Flat has ... will pay attention next time. ;-)
February 12, 2016 08:08PM
I'll add a few more ....

- Red hills recreation area on grange road (taking that side loop from Chinese camp). Never hiked in Red Hills, though it looks interesting.

- The gas station on Farmington road that sells bird houses on the side. Haven't bought a bird house there yet. maybe will one of these days.

- checking out the mega processing facilities (hunts tomato, some wine group one) along those roads.

- In Knights ferry, there is a roadside dinner. It always has cars in front of it, and we have never stopped there to eat. If anyone has any eaten there, let us know.

- Tuolumne county museum by the library in Groveland.
February 14, 2016 08:28AM
recycling1991
I'll add a few more ....

- In Knights ferry, there is a roadside dinner. It always has cars in front of it, and we have never stopped there to eat. If anyone has any eaten there, let us know.

We've eaten there. Sounds better than it really is. No alcohol served. It's basic food--burgers and chicken. Food is fine, but it all seems a little out of touch when you can't buy a beer to go with your burger...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 14, 2016 03:38PM
balzaccom

We've eaten there. Sounds better than it really is. No alcohol served. It's basic food--burgers and chicken. Food is fine, but it all seems a little out of touch when you can't buy a beer to go with your burger...

Huh? A little out of touch because they don't serve beer?

Many places that sell burgers don't offer beer, including many mom & pop joints. Liquor licenses, including just beer and wine licenses are expensive and in certain areas hard to come by. Besides, they might not want to encourage people to drink and drive at that location since many of their customers might be going to or coming from the Sierra on twisty two-lane high-speed highways.

February 14, 2016 06:11PM
Yeah, well. I am an adult, and like an adult beverage with my hamburger. I don't drink sodas or milkshakes....especially not with food.

February 15, 2016 09:43PM
I was thinking that some of those people who rent the RVs would be better off if they DID have a beer before hitting the road! smileys with beer

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
February 14, 2016 06:07PM
I feel left out...what about those who drive from San Diego!! haha. I'll need to check out some of these places you guys posted. Looks like a road trip to SF is in line!
July 11, 2016 08:59PM
So on our way back from Lake Alpine (highway 4), instead of driving west on Farmington Rd all the way to 99, headed north on Waverly and discovered some neat areas to drive. Particularly the roads around Linden are full of very old walnut trees which look to be quite healthy. It was very scenic.

Also tried some ice cream store in the strange new Disneylandish Copperopolis. Okay ice cream. Nothing special. Coffee shop in Copperopolis is a better option.
July 12, 2016 09:52AM
Cindy's Cafe/Restaurant in Oakdale has quality service and delicious food. It's in the same mall as the Cost Less and Grocery Outlet. Can be easy to miss on the way out (traveling west on 120, after the right turn onto Yosemite Ave). It's in the mall on the left side immediately after you see the mileage sign (Escalon 9, Manteca 20, SF 120...something like that). I recommend the BBQ Angus Burger.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login