Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Fall Survivor

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Half Dome Fall Survivor
February 17, 2016 12:28PM
Amazingly, this woman survived quite a fall from the cables. She tells her story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GarBqz_Kfo

I witnessed a similar fall in 2007 where a man did not make it. Saw him slide by, and then got catapaulted below the subdome saddle. I heard he actually had a pulse when people reached him, but he succumbed to his injuries.
February 17, 2016 03:41PM
35-40 mph? Hey....speeding kills bears!
February 17, 2016 06:39PM
Saw the rescue report of this about 10 days back. Here is a more detailed account by two people who were there with/around her.

Half Dome Accident in June 2009 - Incident Report by Friends of YOSAR

Glad to see that she is doing okay...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 06:39PM by nwhkr.
February 18, 2016 11:02AM
Thanks for sharing that link. Luckily that the ledge arrested her fall. It could have just as easily launched her into a somersault. She seems to have made a full recovery, great to hear. You also learn things that can be applied for your own journeys. Staying put might have been the better choice, as mentioned in the article.

These decisions are personal, but going up when it's foggy and wet usually isn't a good idea. There's always next time. Too much life to live, so much more to see, to risk it on one particular mountain/dome/etc. I don't consider anything as "a must." But that's just my personal philosophy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 11:19AM by Ohnivy-Drak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login