Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sierra Club seeks to change name of LeConte Memorial Lodge

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra Club seeks to change name of LeConte Memorial Lodge
February 27, 2016 09:22PM
More name changes to come. Sierra Club is also thinking of pulling it's support from the Lodge due to funding issues.

http://twainhartetimes.com/2016/name_change_yosemite_/
avatar Re: Sierra Club seeks to change name of LeConte Memorial Lodge
February 28, 2016 01:01PM
The Park Service is going to change the name of the LeConte Memorial Lodge to the Jacobs Memorial Lodge in honor Jeremy Jacobs and his family for the environmental leadership his family's company, Delaware North (DNC), showed in Yosemite with their GreenPath® environmental stewardship program. In exchange, DNC will drop their trademark claims to their former Yosemite holdings.

Grinning Devil
February 28, 2016 02:52PM
Not knowing anything about Jeremy Jacobs and the Delaware North's GreenPath® environmental stewardship program...

It would appear that a compromise has been made - the Jacobs name to be forever associated/ on a Yosemite landmark -
in exchange for $22 million in 1993 dollars...the cost DNC had to pay back then.

If true, seems like a fair resolution?
February 28, 2016 04:06PM
markskor
Not knowing anything about Jeremy Jacobs and the Delaware North's GreenPath® environmental stewardship program...

It would appear that a compromise has been made - the Jacobs name to be forever associated/ on a Yosemite landmark -
in exchange for $22 million in 1993 dollars...the cost DNC had to pay back then.

If true, seems like a fair resolution?

I think it was a joke.
February 28, 2016 04:35PM
YPW is correct, plawrence was just joking. So far, a new name has not be released. Right now the Sierra Club is still making its mind up if they are going to fund and continue to be a presence in Yosemite or if they are going to turn it all over to the park service and they will fund and run it as another educational center. Or maybe something in between.
February 28, 2016 07:01PM
Yes, I was being facetious. (Hence the "Devil" Grinning Devil icon.)

But I did hear last week by a DNC employee (soon to be an Aramark employee), that DNC has agreed to let the Park Service continue to use the historic names of the buildings for the next three months pending the outcome of the litigation.

February 28, 2016 07:46PM
plawrence
But I did hear last week by a DNC employee (soon to be an Aramark employee), that DNC has agreed to let the Park Service continue to use the historic names of the buildings for the next three months pending the outcome of the litigation.

It's been well reported that Delaware North offered to allow the use of the names for free without any litigation until the dispute is settled. However, NPS said no thanks as did Aramark. I believe they don't want to give DNC an opening, as they can prove that (although the names have sentimental value) they aren't strictly needed from a business standpoint.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/02/delaware-north-offers-assign-trademarks-yosemite-properties-aramark
February 28, 2016 09:35PM
DNC was wrong for trademarking things behind the NPS's back and the NPS has handled this issue poorly trying to force DNC to back down. Both are at fault. In the meantime money that could be used for other things in the park will be used to change the names on things even though they are doing in in a more temporary way now. I feel bad for the small businesses in the gateway communities that will also incur costs changing names on things. I really feel bad for the DNC employees who have to deal with upset public and for the cheap employee awards banquet that they were given this year. DNC showed their true colors with that.
February 28, 2016 11:13PM
parklover
DNC was wrong for trademarking things behind the NPS's back and the NPS has handled this issue poorly trying to force DNC to back down. Both are at fault. In the meantime money that could be used for other things in the park will be used to change the names on things even though they are doing in in a more temporary way now. I feel bad for the small businesses in the gateway communities that will also incur costs changing names on things. I really feel bad for the DNC employees who have to deal with upset public and for the cheap employee awards banquet that they were given this year. DNC showed their true colors with that.

OTOH, I haven't seen as many DNC employees as happy as I did last week when I was in the park. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I think they'll all are looking forward to working for Aramark. (Aramark employee orientation was going on inside the Garden Terrace room at the Lodge during my visit).

February 29, 2016 11:52AM
plawrence
parklover

OTOH, I haven't seen as many DNC employees as happy as I did last week when I was in the park. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. I think they'll all are looking forward to working for Aramark. (Aramark employee orientation was going on inside the Garden Terrace room at the Lodge during my visit).

I also talked to a few when were were there during the holidays and their attitude was that they had high hopes and were going to wait to see how it goes. People in the lower positions felt that they didn't have to worry about keeping their jobs but you have to wonder how the people that are in higher positions are feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 11:53AM by parklover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login