Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Sign for The Ahwahnee stolen

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sign for The Ahwahnee stolen
February 29, 2016 01:11PM
Iconic sign for Ahwahnee hotel stolen on eve of official Yosemite name changes
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article63174077.html

It's the small sign on the stone fence on the way in.
February 29, 2016 07:22PM
How sad that someone would do that.
avatar Re: Sign for The Ahwahnee stolen
March 01, 2016 03:06PM
parklover

Could that someone be DNC?
March 02, 2016 04:17PM
eeek
parklover

Could that someone be DNC?

That crossed my mind, too.

March 02, 2016 05:45PM
I don't think it was a DNC person but some irate visitor. At first I thought that someone might have taken it to sell it at a high price but on further thought, if someone tried that they would be arrested.
March 02, 2016 11:29PM
parklover
I don't think it was a DNC person but some irate visitor.

I doubt that it was an irate visitor. Why would they want to deface part of the Ahwahnee by removing the historic sign?

It was more likely a souvenir hunter who thought that sign was no longer needed (and might get tossed by the NPS or Aramark), or more likely someone very familiar with the hotel (a DNC employee or Park Service employee who wouldn't raise suspicions if someone spotted them removing the sign if they had an official DNC or NPS vehicle parked by the sign and were wearing official looking work clothes.

(If I saw a someone like a maintenance worker removing the sign on Sunday or Monday midday, I would have thought nothing of it — thinking it was just part of the changeover. It could have been done in broad daylight without raising any suspicions from most park visitors AND park employees.)

March 03, 2016 08:24AM
plawrence
parklover
I don't think it was a DNC person but some irate visitor.

I doubt that it was an irate visitor. Why would they want to deface part of the Ahwahnee by removing the historic sign?

It was more likely a souvenir hunter who thought that sign was no longer needed (and might get tossed by the NPS or Aramark), or more likely someone very familiar with the hotel (a DNC employee or Park Service employee who wouldn't raise suspicions if someone spotted them removing the sign if they had an official DNC or NPS vehicle parked by the sign and were wearing official looking work clothes.

(If I saw a someone like a maintenance worker removing the sign on Sunday or Monday midday, I would have thought nothing of it — thinking it was just part of the changeover. It could have been done in broad daylight without raising any suspicions from most park visitors AND park employees.)

Irate about the name changes and maybe felt this was a way to save a sign or as you said it could be a souvenir hunter. I doubt it would have been a NPS employee since they know more than other people that this is a federal offense. No matter who took it, I hope that they have have rethought this action and will put it in someplace that it will be safely found by the NPS.
March 03, 2016 04:02PM
Someone must have had that Ace of Base song in their head. It will never be found, just like the Eagle Peak marker.
March 01, 2016 07:21PM
More news. Apparently the vinyl cover they were going to install for the new name has no place to go since it was custom made to fit over the existing sign.
March 03, 2016 10:46PM
I can't help but think that someone has it for "safe keeping" and that it'll be returned once the balance of the universe is restored and the names are correct again.
March 04, 2016 07:39AM
qumqats
I can't help but think that someone has it for "safe keeping" and that it'll be returned once the balance of the universe is restored and the names are correct again.
We can only hope so on both counts.
March 04, 2016 10:21AM
I am not surprised it was stolen. The name is worth 53 million, right? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 04, 2016 11:20AM
hotrod4x5
I am not surprised it was stolen. The name is worth 53 million, right? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It was a little rusted so maybe only 52.5 million.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login