All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Interior Dept petitioning to cancel several trademarks for Yosemite
March 04, 2016 12:26PM
I found it initially on National Parks Traveler, but then researched it further on the USPTO website. They even included the registration for "The Ahwahnee" that existed previous to NPS owning the building itself. It's not all the registrations, but probably the most important ones.

http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=92063225&pty=CAN&eno=1

Petitioner, a bureau of the United States Department of the Interior, a federal agency of the United States, believes that it is being and/or will be damaged by the continued registration in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”) of the following marks:
  •  YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK, Registration No. 2715307, Issued March 13, 2003;
  •  THE AHWAHNEE, Registration No. 2772512, Issued October 7, 2003;
  •  THE AHWAHNEE, Registration No. 1529066, Issued March 7, 1989;
  •  CURRY VILLAGE, Registration No. 2685968, Issued February 11, 2003;
  •  WAWONA, Registration No. 2739708, Issued July 22, 2003;
  •  BADGER PASS, Registration No. 2720778, Issued June 3, 2003; and
  •  BADGER PASS, Registration No. 3731325, Issued December 29, 2009 (collectively,
    “the Subject Registrations”).
Re: Interior Dept petitioning to cancel several trademarks for Yosemite
March 04, 2016 12:41PM
Thank you for the link. We can only hope this gets worked out soon. One I didn't notice on the list you posted is Bracebridge Dinner because DNC trademarked it and it is now called The Yuletide Dinner at Yosemite.

This morning I went on DNC's Yosemite website and it automatically goes to the new website www.travelyosemite.com Also the Badger Pass cam has been unavailable since the night of Feb 29th. I emailed the Yosemite Conservancy asking if they would take it over but not heard from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 12:41PM by parklover.
avatar Re: Interior Dept petitioning to cancel several trademarks for Yosemite
March 04, 2016 02:01PM
parklover
Also the Badger Pass cam has been unavailable since the night of Feb 29th. I emailed the Yosemite Conservancy asking if they would take it over but not heard from them.

You might want to contact Aramark directly in regards to the Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area (formerly known as Badger Pass) webcam.

March 04, 2016 02:16PM
plawrence
parklover
Also the Badger Pass cam has been unavailable since the night of Feb 29th. I emailed the Yosemite Conservancy asking if they would take it over but not heard from them.

You might want to contact Aramark directly in regards to the Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area (formerly known as Badger Pass) webcam.

I figured since they already run the other cams another one would not be that hard to add to the list. I have contacted Aramark about other things and the contact person sent me a email that he is currently out of town on business (probably in Yosemite) and will reply when he gets back. I can ask in another email.
avatar Re: Interior Dept petitioning to cancel several trademarks for Yosemite
March 04, 2016 03:31PM
The Bracebridge Dinner and Go Climb a Rock trademarks were registered by YP&CC. So far there's no sign of NPS trying to cancel these.

They might be trickier since they don't specifically refer to place names. Go Climb a Rock could easily be used as a generic phrase to put on T-shirts, like "Life Is Good". I could easily see DNC trying to sell the TM to The North Face or Patagonia, although I don't think they would bite.
March 04, 2016 05:51PM
Northface already has a stylized HalfDome on their things which is trademarked but you wonder if they would want the Go climb a Rock one. I think with Northface and Patagonia's relationship with Yosemite that they would not go for it. I am hoping that the Bracebridge name is part of the section that says "all things related to hotel and restaurant services".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2016 05:52PM by parklover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login