Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Destroying a Legacy...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

March 06, 2016 08:14AM

now...

There's even a sign... w/ "For Future Generations..." ... which is now covered in black tape...

I guess on the bright side... DNC sign is blacked out... in the building which was open in 1927

Personally... DNC should have been a Steward to Yosemite... not put their name everywhere.
I both cringed and was appalled that they would put a sign up like that... in a National Historic Landmark.

Many of the other signs have been posted / printed elsewhere... I won't post them again...
On the bright side... they didn't go crazy and change the trail signs... yet...

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: Destroying a Legacy...
March 06, 2016 09:50AM
Wait, am I understanding this correctly? The park isn't even allowed to make REFERENCE to the disputed names? Even in talking about the Park's past? That's bizarre and sad.
March 06, 2016 02:43PM
The Park Service is overreacting — maybe to prove a point, maybe to limit any perceived legal liability. Hopefully DNC will lose "their" trademark of Yosemite icons, and things will get back to normal.

Leave No Trace
March 07, 2016 07:12AM
Agree. Public opinion is obviously on their side.... the more ridiculous they make it...
The more support they get...

They went so far as to cover up the pinecone everywhere... did DNC make all these signs???

The map signs were not touched... yet...

March 07, 2016 09:16AM
chick-on

They went so far as to cover up the pinecone

I will not be covered up! Head roll
March 07, 2016 09:45AM
Why did the PineCone cross the road?

March 07, 2016 10:00AM
To get to the squirrels on the other side?
Thank you for your photos, very disheartening to see these, but as discussed, I hope there is a method to their madness.
While you were at the Ahwahnee, did you happen to stick your head into the dining room or gift shop to check on the fate of the china?! smiling smiley
March 07, 2016 02:32PM
Not runnin to da Loo ?

Didn't stick head anywhere... didn't want to be runnin round wit me head cut off...

It was pretty Majestic in there tho.

March 07, 2016 02:37PM
Forgot to mention. No China in "Majestic" gift shop when went by. I looked for it especially. Shop was more open, they rearranged a bit so no huge gaps. But the big display was gone.

The Village Store was also rearranged, much less stuff than usual. But couldn't figure what all was gone and why. Stuff with "Yosemite National Park" was still there...
March 07, 2016 03:10PM
Thank you both, for the news on the china at the Ahwahnee Grand Majestic, and for my likeness on a bathroom directional sign (a lifelong dream finally come true for me)...
March 07, 2016 06:53PM
PineCone
Thank you both, for the news on the china at the Ahwahnee Grand Majestic, and for my likeness on a bathroom directional sign (a lifelong dream finally come true for me)...

Sure it wasn't this?

Feed ME!

March 07, 2016 09:40PM
The coux de grass is this new installation though:

March 08, 2016 07:12AM
What an honor bestowed upon me! And likely the only way I would be able to stay at the Majestic Ahwahnee Lodge.smiling smiley
March 07, 2016 04:30PM
They could have come up with less ridiculous names.
March 07, 2016 05:18PM
Dave

I agree 100%. These names are awful. Lets hope it's only for the short term. thumbs down
March 07, 2016 06:01PM
Dave

Yes, but that wasn't the point.
March 08, 2016 12:39AM
Dave

My assumption is that they purposely came up with ridiculous names so 1) they don't stick, and 2) the names generate more bad publicity towards DNC. Hopefully, the Majestic will revert back to the Ahwahnee and Half Dome Village goes back to being called Curry Village (though it would have been cute if they had renamed Curry Village to Dave & Jennie's Village). wink

Leave No Trace
March 08, 2016 06:43AM
Sighhhhn....

Actually
Half Dome Village
is pretty good
(I couldn't find any Indian food at "Curry" village)

Yosemite Valley Lodge
is pretty good
(better than Yosemite Lodge at Yosemite Falls or really close to it)
(and at least it's a Lodge... unlike the incredibly ridiculously renamed
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge) (formerly correctly named TM HSC)

Majestic
ok, ya... that ridic

Badger Pass isn't even at Badger Pass
is should have been
Monroe Meadows Ski Area
from the get go.

tongue sticking out smiley

The whole name thing has been beaten to ....

March 08, 2016 06:50AM
The point was.... if you cover something up... who knows what is underneath...

For future ????

Kinda ridiculous

March 08, 2016 07:29AM
chick-on
Sighhhhn....

Actually
Half Dome Village
is pretty good
(I couldn't find any Indian food at "Curry" village)

Yosemite Valley Lodge
is pretty good
(better than Yosemite Lodge at Yosemite Falls or really close to it)
(and at least it's a Lodge... unlike the incredibly ridiculously renamed
Tuolumne Meadows Lodge) (formerly correctly named TM HSC)

Majestic
ok, ya... that ridic

is should have been
Monroe Meadows Ski Area
from the get go.

tongue sticking out smiley

The whole name thing has been beaten to ....
Of the new names I feel that the Majestic and the renaming of Badger are the worse. At least Big Trees Lodge is based on Wawona meaning big trees. The reason why years ago Yosemite Lodge was changed to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls was to prevent confusion between it and Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. People would try to check in at Yosemite Lodge in the valley only to be extremely upset when they found out that they had made reservations at Yosemite View Lodge and were not right there in the valley. Note: Good thing they didn't name it Majestic Hotel Yosemite or they would have added more confusion since there is a chain of luxury hotels called Majestic Hotel Chicago, Majestic Hotel South Beach, Majestic Hotel and so on.
March 08, 2016 10:47AM
chick-on

is should have been
Monroe Meadows Ski Area
from the get go.

They ought to rename the Yosemite Ski & Snowboard Area to Fiore Meadows in honor Nic Fiore.

Leave No Trace
March 08, 2016 09:01AM
plawrence
My assumption is that they purposely came up with ridiculous names so 1) they don't stick, and 2) the names generate more bad publicity towards DNC. Hopefully, the Majestic will revert back to the Ahwahnee and Half Dome Village goes back to being called Curry Village (though it would have been cute if they had renamed Curry Village to Dave & Jennie's Village). wink
They should have gone back to Camp Curry. For the lodge, just shorten it to The Yosemite Lodge by dropping the "by the falls" bit.

If the NPS had a spine they'd just continue using the old names and tell DNC where to stick it.
March 08, 2016 12:03PM
A well-placed source tells me that Delaware plans to file a trademark for Chick-On.
March 08, 2016 02:15PM
Ohnivy-Drak
A well-placed source tells me that Delaware plans to file a trademark for Chick-On.

Leave No Trace
March 08, 2016 04:05PM
I agree with Dave...Half Dome Village should've just been Camp Curry. And I think Delaware North changed the name to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls after repairs made following the big flood.

Any change in Housekeeping Camp's name?
March 08, 2016 04:28PM
hikerchick395
I agree with Dave...Half Dome Village should've just been Camp Curry. And I think Delaware North changed the name to Yosemite Lodge at the Falls after repairs made following the big flood.

Any change in Housekeeping Camp's name?
I looked at Wikipedia and it said that the name was changed sometime in the mid 2000's. I could pull out all of my receipts from past trips and see when the name had changed but I don't have the time to do that today. I was told by a manager at the Lodge the reason behind the name change was to end the confusion between Yosemite Lodge and Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal because people were getting upset when they found that they had made reservations at Yosemite View Lodge and thinking it was the lodge in the Valley. I have also heard that explanation from other people. Now if that reason is correct, is anyone's guess unless we can find something written.

No change in the name of Housekeeping Camp so I guess they didn't trademark that name. I have also wondered why they couldn't use Camp Curry.

Edit: I went and looked at my receipts. When we stayed at the Lodge starting on 5/26/05 it said Yosemite Lodge. When we went on 4/9/06 it said Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. I will look for more receipts to see if this is correct.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 05:44PM by parklover.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login