Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Native Americans ask" Whose names are they anyway?"

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Native Americans ask" Whose names are they anyway?"
March 12, 2016 02:22PM
March 16, 2016 01:27PM
great article- why no comments so far????? in the meantime...why not rename the joyless 'Majestic' to the original Awhaneechee, or similar? job done.
March 16, 2016 05:06PM
pines
great article- why no comments so far????? in the meantime...why not rename the joyless 'Majestic' to the original Awhaneechee, or similar? job done.
I don't know why anyone has not commented. Maybe everyone is sick of the whole thing. As for Awhaneehee, I had thought about that too or maybe Ahwahnee Meadow Lodge or Hotel but maybe they are too close to the original name. Confusing since they made Yosemite Lodge at the Falls to Yosemite Valley Lodge.
avatar Re: Native Americans ask" Whose names are they anyway?"
March 17, 2016 12:02PM
parklover
pines

I don't know why anyone has not commented. Maybe everyone is sick of the whole thing. As for Awhaneehee, I had thought about that too or maybe Ahwahnee Meadow Lodge or Hotel but maybe they are too close to the original name. Confusing since they made Yosemite Lodge at the Falls to Yosemite Valley Lodge.

If the Park Service loses its case and can no longer call it the Ahwahnee (without paying DNC), then they could rename it to Hotel Tissaack.

Leave No Trace
March 20, 2016 03:02PM
plawrence
parklover
pines

If the Park Service loses its case and can no longer call it the Ahwahnee (without paying DNC), then they could rename it to Hotel Tissaack.
I can't even begin to image the difficulty that people would have with that name since some people can't even figure out how to say Ahwahnee. LOL
March 20, 2016 07:24PM
parklover

I can't even begin to image the difficulty that people would have with that name since some people can't even figure out how to say Ahwahnee. LOL

Well then... they should just stick to calling it the Majestic Hotel (the name being so much easier to pronounce than the Ahwahnee). wink

Leave No Trace
March 20, 2016 08:52PM
plawrence
parklover

Well then... they should just stick to calling it the Majestic Hotel (the name being so much easier to pronounce than the Ahwahnee). wink
After almost 30 years of going to Yosemite I am still not sure how to pronounce Tissaack LOL
March 20, 2016 10:06PM
parklover

After almost 30 years of going to Yosemite I am still not sure how to pronounce Tissaack LOL

An Hawaiian would know how. wink

Tis-sa-ack.

Leave No Trace
March 20, 2016 10:26PM
plawrence
parklover

An Hawaiian would know how. wink

Tis-sa-ack.
I am not a Hawaiian but it looks like I guessed correctly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login