Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Spring Break camping...snow?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Spring Break camping...snow?
March 20, 2016 02:38PM
The grandkids and I are all packed and set to head out at 6am tomorrow for 4 nights in Upper Pines.

Here are a couple of shots from from Mar. 31, 2010 in Lower Pines with the grandkids. THAT snow caught us by surprise. i'm prepared this time ;-)

Steve

Well, I guess I don't know how to post pics as these don't seem to have made it.

Here is a LINK to the album instead.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2016 02:41PM by calberry.
March 20, 2016 02:56PM
Looks like your first two nights you will have some rain instead of the snow you had in 2010. Have a great time.
avatar Re: Spring Break camping...snow?
March 20, 2016 03:16PM
Thanks. The forecast I'm looking at shows possible snow from like 2-6am Tues. morning.

I remember back in 2010 going to sleep with the very pleasant sound of rain on the trailer roof but waking up at zero-dark-thirty to an almost eerie silence...yup, snow ;-)

Steve
March 20, 2016 06:22PM
Have a good time, I hope you have some good weather in there somewhere!
March 20, 2016 07:29PM
Thanks! We'll be in Yosemite, so all the weather will be good ;-)

Some days there will just be more wet clothes to dry out than others ;-)

Steve
March 20, 2016 08:48PM
Snow is for the higher elevations but not for the valley. If you come in on the 41 you might hit snow around Chinquapin.
March 20, 2016 09:37PM
Actually we'll be coming up 140 tomorrow, so no worries about snow. But it was the early Tues. forecast that I was looking at that showed the potential for snow...and that was a GOOD thing?

But the forecast now is not looking like it, bummer ;-( Forecast

Steve
March 20, 2016 10:24PM
calberry
Actually we'll be coming up 140 tomorrow, so no worries about snow. But it was the early Tues. forecast that I was looking at that showed the potential for snow...and that was a GOOD thing?

But the forecast now is not looking like it, bummer ;-( Forecast

Steve
I hope that it doesn't rain too hard for you. I have found these weather sites to be a bit more accurate at times.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weathermap.htm Well whatever the weather is I am sure that you will have a good time since you will be in Yosemite.
March 20, 2016 07:38PM
calberry

The grandkids and I are all packed and set to head out at 6am tomorrow for 4 nights in Upper Pines.

Here are a couple of shots from from Mar. 31, 2010 in Lower Pines with the grandkids. THAT snow caught us by surprise. i'm prepared this time ;-)

Steve

Have a safe trip and great time!

It should be lots of fun!

Leave No Trace
March 20, 2016 09:24PM
Thank you, and good job. What did I do wrong?

Steve
March 20, 2016 10:13PM
You need to copy and paste the URL of the actual image, not the webpage.

The last part of the image's URL will have the name of the image file, so the URL should end with an image file extension like .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, .tif, .png, etc. A simply way to find it is to right-click on the image and then select "copy image address" – or – select "open image in a new tab" then copy and paste the URL of the new image tab.

Leave No Trace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 11:41AM by plawrence.
March 21, 2016 02:06AM
Gotcha. Thanks!

Steve
March 21, 2016 07:58AM
I like y0our technique with the tarp in that snow photo!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
March 25, 2016 07:39PM
Snapped a pole in that episode of poor planning. Didn't anticipate snow that night ;-(
March 26, 2016 07:39AM
So alas there was no snow...but we go back again in 2 days (Mon. the 28th, Son's grandkids this week, Daughter's next week) and the forecast looks like snow is much more likely then.

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login