Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (74% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Horse trail to Clark Point, will it be maintained?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Horse trail to Clark Point, will it be maintained?
April 01, 2016 11:22PM
Took this trail on the way down once. I really enjoyed it compared to the concrete jungle of the normal way down to the Valley. What has become of this trail since the horsie rides have been discontinued? Is it being maintained? Is it still signed, horses only?
April 09, 2016 06:52AM
No opinions?
April 09, 2016 07:09AM
I can't remember for sure what the Merced Plan said but I believe that the trail will still be used by the NPS pack mules and if so, it would be maintained. As for it still being mark horses only, I have not been up there recently so I have no idea. You can always call and ask if no one else here answers.

"(209) 372-0200 The public information office is open from 9 am to 5 pm Pacific time (closed for lunch). Once connected, dial 3 then 5. If the ranger is already on the line, you'll be returned to the main menu. If the ranger is not there, you can leave a message and we will return your call."
avatar Re: Horse trail to Clark Point, will it be maintained?
April 09, 2016 07:26AM
Sorry... I was goofing around in the park lately...

It's still marked horsies only... it will be maintained. (b/c rangers will still take the trail up)
And it's still in great shape... smiling smiley

(nothing has changed... )

smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 09, 2016 10:02PM
I like going up and down the horse trail, especially when the dogwoods are in bloom, but it is clearly marked as not being for pedestrian traffic.
I was caught by a ranger as I started up it one backpacking trip, and politely asked to use the regular trail instead.
I agreed and headed back down as the ranger thanked me. Any other reaction on my part would have ruined the trip!

BTW it doesn't go to Clarke Point, it meets up with JMT just beyond the JMT/Mist trail junction, well short of Clarke Point.
April 10, 2016 04:06PM
qumqats

BTW it doesn't go to Clarke Point, it meets up with JMT just beyond the JMT/Mist trail junction, well short of Clarke Point.

Yes, that's right. I couldn't remember for sure. Thanks!
April 11, 2016 01:39AM
It's still marked as Horses only. However, couldn't find such a sign at the start of the trail so I went for it (I did start my hike at 4:30am!). Seems like a lot of folks have been short cutting the trail as theres a lot of in-between shortcuts on the switch back sections.

If I had known it was still a horse only trail (sign is at the JMT junction), I wouldn't have gone up itWhite flag

-Kevin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 01:40AM by KevinD.
April 11, 2016 07:22AM
They would do this typically:
(this is at the junction of the Happy Isle Nature Center and road to water tanks / trail cutoff)

I guess you could be confused by the sign when the trail cuts off the road that also says no hikey.
(I am being serious)

Also... The Old Dood needs to do this trail for Trail Quest!
hahahahaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2016 07:23AM by chick-on.
April 11, 2016 01:55PM
Hmmm I recognize the electric stuff in the background. I swear that sign wasn't up 2 weeks ago! Or maybe I need a better headlamp lol!
April 12, 2016 11:29AM
chick-on
Also... The Old Dood needs to do this trail for Trail Quest!

hahahahaha

I can't believe I've hiked a trail in Yosemite that Old Dood has never hiked. I've never hiked this trail uphill, but there's been a couple of times I've inadvertently hiked it downhill, veering off on it instead of staying on the JMT. When I realized my error, instead of backtracking I just continued on until I reached Happy Isles.

Leave No Trace
April 12, 2016 11:46AM
Well... Old Guy no wanna even include valley trails in "Trail Quest".
So... I am betting that you have done a bunch in valley Old Doooood no Dooooo...

I would include at least all of these:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/YOSEmap2.pdf

I mean how can you possibly say you did all the trails in the park and have not
done The Valley Loop?

Inquiring Chick-on is looking at you!s wanna know

tongue sticking out smiley

April 12, 2016 01:13PM
I can't believe he never hiked the Valley Loop trail. That's one of the best trails in the entire park!

Leave No Trace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login