Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Yosemite Forum Tuesday, April 12th at 3:30

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Yosemite Forum Tuesday, April 12th at 3:30
April 11, 2016 02:41PM
"A way across the mountain: Joseph Walker's 1833 trans-Sierran passage and the myth of Yosemite's discovery" by Dr. Scott Stine

In 1833, Joseph Walker led a brigade of fur trappers from Wyoming to California. Toward the end of their journey the Walker brigade crossed the Sierra Nevada, becoming the first non-Native people to traverse the range from east to west. Following Walker's death in 1876, an alluring tale arose in which Walker found himself on the northern rim of Yosemite Valley, and over time this tale of discovery hardened to folklore. In this talk, Dr. Scott Stine will reconstruct Walker's 1833 route over the Sierra using a detailed travel narrative from the brigade's field clerk, combined with observations of geomorphology, hydrography, biogeography, and climate, demonstrating that Walker's route was in fact well north of Yosemite Valley.

The Forum will take place Tuesday, April 12, from 3:30 to 4:30 pm in the Yosemite Valley Auditorium. Please contact Ami Knighten at 379-1301 for additional information.
avatar Re: Yosemite Forum Tuesday, April 12th at 3:30
April 13, 2016 12:35PM
Did any one attend this forum? Any details?
April 16, 2016 06:33PM
I saw him speak about ten years ago and am surprised it took him this long to get his book published. Thought it was pretty compelling at the time. I'm glad his research is finally out for the masses.
April 18, 2016 03:38PM
It looks like a great book. I would certainly buy a copy, if it weren't for the $40 price tag!

The SF Library has one on order...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login