All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga Road plowing
April 15, 2016 06:28PM
Well today is the day that Tioga Road plowing usually starts. It is also the day that income taxes are usually due. Turns out both are delayed until Monday...
Re: Tioga Road plowing
April 15, 2016 11:44PM
hikerchick395
Well today is the day that Tioga Road plowing usually starts. It is also the day that income taxes are usually due. Turns out both are delayed until Monday...

Wish, I had seen this earlier.. Can't wait to make a trip to Yosemite before Glacier point road opens upsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 11:25PM by nwhkr.
April 16, 2016 12:29PM
hikerchick395
Friday was Emancipation Day and government offices were closed.
April 26, 2016 06:51PM
parklover

I could be wrong since I've only worked for the NPS for 12 years, but I'm pretty sure we don't get Emancipation Day off. Many that do work for the NPS in Yosemite work 4 ten hour days, or flex and have a three day weekend every other week. That means many do not work Fridays.

From what I hear around, they have started working on the road along with some blasting at Olmstead. They usually try to open the road for the Memorial Day weekend. Of course many things, weather, equipment breakdowns, avalanche hazards, etc, can delay those plans. One thing you can count on though, if the avalanche hazards at Olmstead, and a few others, are not made safe, the road will not open.
April 26, 2016 07:48PM
Dave
parklover

I could be wrong since I've only worked for the NPS for 12 years, but I'm pretty sure we don't get Emancipation Day off. Many that do work for the NPS in Yosemite work 4 ten hour days, or flex and have a three day weekend every other week. That means many do not work Fridays.

From what I hear around, they have started working on the road along with some blasting at Olmstead. They usually try to open the road for the Memorial Day weekend. Of course many things, weather, equipment breakdowns, avalanche hazards, etc, can delay those plans. One thing you can count on though, if the avalanche hazards at Olmstead, and a few others, are not made safe, the road will not open.
I don't what days the NPS gets off. I only know that my husband was on jury duty and was told not to come on that Friday because government offices were going to be closed for Emancipation Day. Frankly, I don't know anyone that gets off for that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 07:50PM by parklover.
April 16, 2016 08:00PM
Saturday was Emancipation Day but they took the Friday holiday
April 18, 2016 10:09PM
Did it start today?
April 18, 2016 10:17PM
Paris92
Did it start today?

That's what it says
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Now if we can get hikerChickyThe395 to tell us the opening date...
I can tell you when it opens (purty she has an in in the plow-on gig...
since she nails the date on a yearly basis)

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 18, 2016 11:54PM
chick-on

Now if we can get hikerChickyThe395 to tell us the opening date...
I can tell you when it opens (purty she has an in in the plow-on gig...
since she nails the date on a yearly basis)

I think her source is someone in the Caltrans District 9 office in Bishop. wink

Leave No Trace
April 22, 2016 11:06AM
I have no connections. And with the drought, it has been hard to predict. Last year, the pass opened, but closed the day we had to drive over (for campground reservations,) then it closed again the day we had to drive back. (460 miles one way versus 125.) Last year it opened on a Monday and, of course, it could've opened before it did. It's a little bit early for my prognostication but I'll throw out the date Friday the 13th of May as my prediction.

There is a new "normal" with warmer temps earlier. Flowers are earlier, too. Irises are currently blooming in the pastures. Cotton is already blowing off the cottonwoods. The peak runoff might be right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 11:07AM by hikerchick395.
April 26, 2016 07:47AM
Yup. And people go out expecting no snow. And end up with 4 ft of snow in
tree covered meadows. Not sure who they are talking to.
Makes one wonder.

April 26, 2016 05:12PM
I always remember last year's record low snow pack, for the time that my whole leg went in a post hole in early June. Those north slopes can really hold a lot of snow, even in a low snow year.
April 28, 2016 03:30AM
chick-on
Yup. And people go out expecting no snow. And end up with 4 ft of snow in
tree covered meadows. Not sure who they are talking to.
Makes one wonder.

Hmm... Were they talking to some pink bird, I wonder?
April 27, 2016 08:58AM
Hwy 120 will be open to Tioga pass from the east side on Friday, weather permitting
April 27, 2016 09:55AM
Any guess on the (pre-season) opening date of TM campground?
April 27, 2016 10:18AM

Tioga Pass April 21 photo by Sheila Romaine
April 27, 2016 10:19AM
Looks free and clear to me.

tongue sticking out smiley

April 27, 2016 08:50PM
chick-on

OK now I understand what "free n clear" means. Right up there with "looks easy from here"
April 27, 2016 09:38PM
Bearproof
chick-on

OK now I understand what "free n clear" means. Right up there with "looks easy from here"

and "doable" and "just up the trail a little" and "let's go this way"

Old Dude
April 27, 2016 10:33AM
I might have to go up and check it out in person.

Mono Cone should be open, too...for buttermilk shakes!

(Stuff is finally opening up...for fishmas.)
April 29, 2016 07:27AM
Dagnabbit...the east side of 120 isn't going to open to the gate at Tioga Pass today. Weather didn't permit...

And I was all ready! Think I'll check out Rock Creek Lake...
May 02, 2016 06:02PM
OK it's hard to take myself seriously this year with my pass opening prediction. As I mentioned, I don't have any outside info...I just used criteria that I usually use and I believe this year I am way off.

That being said, I did "hear" something today...now Hwy 120 might open this coming Friday from 395 to the gate if there's no storm (which I believe there will be) and the target date for the entire road opening is June 1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 06:03PM by hikerchick395.
May 03, 2016 07:07PM
I'm predicting May 27th..... weather cooperating.... which is not looking too good at the moment.
May 04, 2016 05:13PM
FB update by NPS/Yose

Park road crews have been plowing the Tioga Road since April 18. Crews have plowed one lane to Tenaya Lake, however, there is still no estimated opening date. Crews still need to plow the full width of the road, as well as side roads. Safety considerations (e.g., avalanche zones, icy road conditions), additional road work, hazard tree removal, continuing snowy weather, and very dense snow are all factors affecting when the road might open.
May 10, 2016 05:40AM
Hi
I am bringing a school tour from the UK for a biannual visit to the West Coast. We will be travelling to Bishop using the Tioga Pass on Saturday 28th and would like to get as much information about whether it will be open as we will have to find alternative accommodation in Fresno or Bakersfield if closed. we came two years ago when there was little snow and it opened in time for our trip. I know it is completely out of our control and we have our fingers crossed, please let me know any information about a possible date and plowing updates.
Many thanks
Chris - UK
May 10, 2016 07:58AM
There is no way anyone could tell you anything for sure. It's not just plowing the road. After the snow is removed there are downed trees to remove, road repairs, continuing avalanche dangers, and often something unexpected. The best you can do is keep an eye on the Yosemite website, https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm , and make plans as you go.
May 10, 2016 11:29PM
Thanks Dave, I am constantly on the site in the hope I will see 'Open' before we leave the UK. I've done the trip 8 times and only missed out once when it was closed for a day after overnight snow! Fingers crossed this time! The weather looks decent all this week, unlike here!
May 11, 2016 06:51PM
If this warm weather holds, they will have the snow plowed in time. It's the repairs that could hold things up.

Remember that there is no gas between 395 and Crane Flat. The gas station in Tuolumne Meadows is not closed - it's gone!
May 12, 2016 06:07PM
Dave

Remember that there is no gas between 395 and Crane Flat. The gas station in Tuolumne Meadows is not closed - it's gone!

Did they dig up and remove the storage tanks after they closed for the season last year. Or are they planning to do that this summer?

Leave No Trace
May 12, 2016 06:25PM
If I remember correctly, the tanks are out. The building is still there, but the pumps are definitely gone. I'll look when I go up there next week.
May 13, 2016 05:39PM
The "Daily" said that Tioga Road will be open to bicycle traffic this weekend. Check with the entrance station first. They should have the latest information. As always, obey the no stopping zones along the road and I'm pretty sure the road will be closed at night.... no camping!
May 13, 2016 06:40PM
Dave
obey the no stopping zones along the road

Mainly so you don't get killed in an avalanche.

Old Dude
May 13, 2016 06:56PM
That would suck.
May 12, 2016 06:06PM
You may also want to follow progress on opening CA-108 over Sonora Pass. Hopefully Tioga (120) will open in time for you, but if it doesn't then 108 will be a bit longer but at least get you across the Sierra somewhere near Yosemite. Current projection appears to be May 18, but nothing's guaranteed there either.
May 15, 2016 10:51PM
Sounds hopeful for our trip on 28th May now the pass is open to bicycles
May 16, 2016 07:33AM
I'm moving my prediction up a week to this Friday. A weather system coming in around Wednesday might slow things down a bit, but not much.

Mother Nature has moved the weather system back to Friday. They could plow whatever falls real quick and, maybe, get it open Saturday noon. That's my prediction, nothing official! As always, call first, check the CHP website, or something. DON'T take my word for it. And, don't forget they may close it at night or if any kind of weather system is coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 09:52AM by Dave.
May 17, 2016 05:33PM
May 17, 2016 06:58PM
I get to go tomorrow. Hopefully I can beat the crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 07:00PM by Dave.
May 17, 2016 07:44PM
I will be crossing east to west on Friday returning home from Zion. We are having a great time hiking the east side with no people.
May 17, 2016 08:30PM
Friday might be kind of iffy. There's a storm coming in late Friday. Get there early to miss it.
May 17, 2016 11:00PM
Brilliant News...looks like I'll have 47 happy UK school children and staff when we go to Bishop on our West Coast tour
May 24, 2016 02:16AM
Has any one got any inside information about whether the pass will be open on Saturday 28th May as I believe it is closed again because of potential snow. Web cams show snow is melting well!
May 24, 2016 07:22AM
chrislee
Has any one got any inside information about whether the pass will be open on Saturday 28th May as I believe it is closed again because of potential snow. Web cams show snow is melting well!

I know nuttin.

Other than... Friday on looks like gorgeous weather with warm temps.
And even though it closed on Friday last week... it was actually open
on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of those days at some points...
Personally I would be flabbergasted if it wasn't open.

(my car got impounded by rangers on Friday the 20th)
(we didn't leave til the 22nd so they must have brought it back...
it was at the TH where we left it on Sunday)

May 24, 2016 08:57AM
chick-on
(my car got impounded by rangers on Friday the 20th)
(we didn't leave til the 22nd so they must have brought it back...
it was at the TH where we left it on Sunday)

Maybe they were trying to return it to its natural habitat? Catch and release?
May 04, 2016 06:51PM
They try really hard to get the road open by Memorial Day. They know the businesses on the East Side rely upon that weekend as a major source of revenue.
May 05, 2016 07:48AM

Caltrans has plowed to Tuolumne Meadows from the east side (May 3)
May 05, 2016 08:54AM
Any new update on your estimate for the opening? Thanks, Colin
May 05, 2016 09:50AM
Like I mentioned, I overheard the goal was June 1, but I'll agree with Dave...I think it may be May 26 or 27. We have been getting new snow here and there, but it melts off quickly, and the old snow remains. More expected in the high country today. You never know what will come in...last year, we had rain in Bishop for six days straight which included the entire Memorial Day weekend (snow in the high country.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 09:51AM by hikerchick395.
May 11, 2016 07:48PM
Now the Tioga Road is supposed to open from 395 to the pass gate tomorrow at noon...weather permitting...again
May 11, 2016 08:58PM
hikerchick395
weather permitting...again

As in too sunny? winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login