Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: Helicopter 551 Arrives Saturday May 7

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Helicopter 551 Arrives Saturday May 7
May 06, 2016 11:12AM
The Yosemite National Park contracted Helicopter 551 will begin its 162 day contract on Saturday May 7. The flight operations are based at Crane Flat Helibase from Saturday May 7th through Saturday October 15th. The 2016 season will be the 4th optional year of the current contract.

Helicopter 551 is a medium, high performance, helicopter. It performs a variety of NPS "all hazard" missions to include: helicopter rappel, helicopter short-haul, in park, local, state and national wildland fire support, law enforcement flights, search and rescue missions. The flight operations also include High Sierra Camp logistical support, back-country utility, back-country trail camp and resource management support flights.

Yosemite Helitack staffs the helicopter for seven day coverage during the duration of the season. During the first three weeks of May the helitack crew, pilots, helicopter search and rescue personnel, and helicopter law enforcement personnel will be participating in training and certifications for helicopter operations.
May 06, 2016 03:34PM
After the training is over, I wonder if they just sit around waiting for someone to get hurt. Must be boring getting paid to do nothing most of the time.
avatar Re: Helicopter 551 Arrives Saturday May 7
May 06, 2016 04:01PM
hotrod4x5
Must be boring getting paid to do nothing most of the time.

Not really.

tongue sticking out smiley

Gettin payd...
smiling smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 06, 2016 04:33PM
"High Sierra camp logistical support" ?
What...they don't use mule trains anymore ?
May 06, 2016 04:53PM
The Other Tom

Due to a DNC patent?
May 09, 2016 10:47AM
The Other Tom

I assume mules have a maximum weight and/or size they can carry for any one particular item, so some items probably can only be brought in by a helicopter.
May 09, 2016 03:52PM
I guess
I did see some wranglers moving a refrigerator to May Lake once. It was on a cart being pulled by a couple of mules....
May 06, 2016 06:39PM
I want a ride.
May 06, 2016 08:06PM
AnotherDave
I want a ride.

Hop a bored

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 07, 2016 12:43AM
backstory???
May 07, 2016 03:24AM
Chick-on trying to not be a flightless fowl?
May 09, 2016 10:43AM
KevinD
backstory???

My guess would be for training. Practice getting on/off, rappelling off the ship, emergency situations, etc. while not using the expensive real thing. Good use for an otherwise no longer functional aircraft.
May 07, 2016 04:38PM
Somebody stole the rims off a chopper?

That's cold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login