Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Tioga opens tomorrow!!!!

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tioga opens tomorrow!!!!
May 17, 2016 05:34PM
avatar Re: Tioga opens tomorrow!!!!
May 17, 2016 09:17PM
The National Park Service (NPS) News Release:

Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park to Open on Wednesday, May 18

Date: May 17, 2016

The Tioga Road in Yosemite National Park will open for all vehicular traffic tomorrow, Wednesday, May 18, 2016, at noon. The Tioga Road, bounded on both sides by State Highway 120, is the popular east-west crossing of the Sierra Nevada.

“We would like to thank all of our road crews, as well as our partners in Mono County and Caltrans, for all of their hard work in clearing the road for the opening tomorrow,” stated Don Neubacher, Superintendent.” Visitors are urged to travel with caution, as there will be ongoing roadwork and the possibility of ice in some places, especially in the early morning hours.”

Snow and icy conditions may still exist on hiking trails at the higher elevations. Visitors are urged to be prepared for snowy conditions and possible treacherous stream crossings while hiking the backcountry in the early season. Vault toilets are available in several locations along the road. Limited visitor services will be available over the next several weeks. Additionally, late spring storms may change the status of the road and cause temporary closures. For updated, 24-hour road conditions, please call 209-372-0200 and follow the prompts.

All campgrounds along the Tioga Road remain closed. All commercial services, including the Tuolumne Store, and Village Grill, are also closed. There are no anticipated opening dates for any of these facilities at this time. The gas station in Tuolumne Meadows is permanently closed and the nearest gas stations are Crane Flat to the west and Lee Vining to the east.

Yosemite National Park celebrated its 125th Anniversary last year and is currently celebrating its Centennial Anniversary with the National Park Service. The park welcomes over four million visitors from all over the world each year and serves as a strong economic engine for the region and local communities. Yosemite National Park generates $535 million in economic benefit to the local region and directly supports 6,261 jobs. The park is home to Yosemite Falls, the tallest waterfall in North America, and iconic rock formations such as Half Dome and El Capitan. The park also features approximately 90 different species of mammals and over 1500 species of plants.

Leave No Trace
May 18, 2016 03:26AM
That means I get to go up the east side and avoid Fresberg!
May 18, 2016 06:30AM
Yay !
Now the big question. I know the official report says the store/grill/campgrounds are closed, but does anyone have an idea of when they might open ?
About how long after the road opens do the commercial facilities open ?
May 18, 2016 08:01AM
Sweet! Wonder what trail conditions are like. Creek crossings will surely be a pain.
May 18, 2016 01:02PM
Yea I would love to see a pic of the Sunrise Trailhead/Tenaya Lake trailhead. It's been dry there for so long...
May 23, 2016 07:36AM
chicagocwright
Yea I would love to see a pic of the Sunrise Trailhead/Tenaya Lake trailhead. It's been dry there for so long...

Aint dry now

TM was purty

Chick-on is looking at you!
May 23, 2016 09:44AM
Thank you! I almost knew my passive request would be filled by you!
May 23, 2016 02:24PM
chicagocwright
Pick a spot, specify the season, with snow or no snow, wet or dry, before fire or after fire, or any combination of these, and you'll get a picture.

Old Dude
May 23, 2016 03:51PM
mrcondron

Pick a spot, specify the season, with snow or no snow, wet or dry, before fire or after fire, or any combination of these, and you'll get a picture.

Ostrander Rocks in winter with snow.

Leave No Trace
May 23, 2016 04:01PM
plawrence
mrcondron

Dec 27, 2013

Just as good... we were very very very close... will have to look if have anything else

You can easily debunk.... it wouldn't take much. Winter is a different animal.

(2013 was a pathetic snow year... we did Pohono and to Sentinel... and as you can see... no snowshoes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 04:02PM by chick-on.
May 23, 2016 04:52PM
chick-on
plawrence
mrcondron

Dec 27, 2013

Just as good... we were very very very close... will have to look if have anything else

You can easily debunk.... it wouldn't take much. Winter is a different animal.

Well, anyone who drives along Glacier Point Road gets pretty close to Ostrander Rocks. tongue sticking out smiley

Nevertheless, that's a very nice photo. Thanks for sharing it.

Leave No Trace
May 23, 2016 09:04PM
Ya... but ya can't see dudlee doo right from GP Road w/r to Ostrander Rocks...

Sumtin in Feb... (I know ttilley has some too)

it's a tif... and google... grrrr

and oops... there's other rocks by ostrander... but the one I posted... its not so close

tongue sticking out smiley

I still love it... so... gonna let u ponder...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 09:07PM by chick-on.
May 24, 2016 07:09AM
Actually ON the Rocks.

Chick-on Rocks

May 24, 2016 09:27AM
Nice!

But no snow, and probably not winter. wink

Leave No Trace
May 24, 2016 10:09AM
The one above is! grrrr

May 24, 2016 12:13PM
Thanks for all the photos.

By any chance, do you have one of your own of Horsetail Fall lit up in February? Or have you always avoided the spectacle.

Leave No Trace
May 24, 2016 03:19PM
plawrence
Thanks for all the photos.

By any chance, do you have one of your own of Horsetail Fall lit up in February? Or have you always avoided the spectacle.

Tried a couple of times... didn't get much...

Actually it was kinda fun this last year... but... it didn't wow.
Maybe next. On weekday...

May 25, 2016 11:44AM
Re: Horsetail falls: we were there this past February. Here's a link to picture taken with our point-and-shoot Canon, no retouching or playing with the shot:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ObD0-bNDg2c/Vs1pEI-ZwHI/AAAAAAAAVVs/JO_9FGz2gvUEJJeXF6UuYD_50P5oFVFqACCo/s512/IMG_0377.JPG (someday I'll figure out how to post actual pictures here).

And here is but a small group among the many, many far more serious photographers than us who were there:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aQaivwBQyQU/Vs1nsnzPVxI/AAAAAAAAVUM/TdF2AR21TsgA19Olxwb2_TFovSNCuegRwCCo/s640/IMG_0371.JPG

It reminded me of going to a football game - the NPS closed of the left lane of South Side Drive to allow parking, there were hundreds of vehicles parked, a few thousand people out to watch...lots of talking as we waited for the sun to set, then sudden silence and lots of shutters clicking when the falls started to change color, and a huge cheer that worked its way across the valley from west to east (kind of like the wave cheer in the stadium) as the falls finally became fiery right before the sun went down completely. Like this forum for us weirdos with a lust for granite, it was neat to share something like this with other geeks who think these things are cool.
May 25, 2016 12:49PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Re: Horsetail falls: we were there this past February. Here's a link to picture taken with our point-and-shoot Canon, no retouching or playing with the shot:
(someday I'll figure out how to post actual pictures here).

And here is but a small group among the many, many far more serious photographers than us who were there:

It reminded me of going to a football game - the NPS closed of the left lane of South Side Drive to allow parking, there were hundreds of vehicles parked, a few thousand people out to watch...lots of talking as we waited for the sun to set, then sudden silence and lots of shutters clicking when the falls started to change color, and a huge cheer that worked its way across the valley from west to east (kind of like the wave cheer in the stadium) as the falls finally became fiery right before the sun went down completely. Like this forum for us weirdos with a lust for granite, it was neat to share something like this with other geeks who think these things are cool.

Thanks for the links of the photos. Just bracket the links to the photos you provided between this tags [img] and [/img] and the photos will appear in your post. (I already added the tags to the two photo links that your provided.)

Leave No Trace
May 24, 2016 03:57PM
Ostrander Rocks from Illilouette Ridge:

Although from that trip I prefer my picture of Clark Range from Illilouette Ridge:

May 23, 2016 04:44PM
mrcondron
chicagocwright

Hmmm..Onion Lake. spring! This is a fun game.
May 23, 2016 09:05PM
Might as well said winter with unyun... cmon... really...

Only been once... best I can do:

z boss is by the shore... for scales...

May 23, 2016 11:49PM
Well, that means you still need to boat on Onion and get that off your list. Assuming that's not against any rules. Probably a nice, little spot that you wouldn't be bothered by others.

Let's see: two different seasons for Hoover Lakes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 11:53PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
May 24, 2016 07:12AM
Since we x-c from Summit to Virginia Pass... we'll be back ...
Someone not gonna be allowed to eat any of the namesake lake's items though...
eye popping smiley

Hoover I got...

Spring... right at the nicest...

and summer from the Crest (two east ones)

peeps prolly saying
wutt da... not related to thread!
tupid bird

May 25, 2016 02:55PM
Gracias. Did you ever make it up Broderick? I think you did, at least once. Post aqui, por favor!
May 26, 2016 06:50AM
Ohnivy-Drak
Gracias. Did you ever make it up Broderick? I think you did, at least once. Post aqui, por favor!

dos

May 23, 2016 11:34AM
Great to see conditions. Thanks.
May 24, 2016 12:21PM
How recent were these taken? I'm hoping to make that crossing in a couple weeks.
May 24, 2016 12:44PM
chick-on

Aint dry now

erinj816

How recent were these taken? I'm hoping to make that crossing in a couple weeks.

In a couple of weeks I think it's going to be roughly the same. I don't think the water level will start going down significantly until the middle of June — at the earliest.

By mid-July, it will probably be significantly lower.

Leave No Trace
May 24, 2016 01:15PM
plawrence
chick-on

Aint dry now

erinj816

In a couple of weeks I think it's going to be roughly the same. I don't think the water level will start going down significantly until the middle of June — at the earliest.

By mid-July, it will probably be significantly lower.

I've been preparing our group for thigh high water. Granted I have no clue how deep the creek is or what the current is like, but I'm thrilled that it currently looks like this!
May 24, 2016 01:35PM
erinj816

It was taken May 20, 2016

(or they were ... if you wanna be particular) tongue sticking out smiley

Might be about same for a couple of weeks... there's rocks all the way across.
Pretty tame crossing... but that's my opinion. I didn't want to cross. I can't stand that cold.
I start crying with that cold a wawa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 01:36PM by chick-on.
May 24, 2016 02:23PM
chick-on
erinj816

It was taken May 20, 2016

(or they were ... if you wanna be particular) tongue sticking out smiley

Might be about same for a couple of weeks... there's rocks all the way across.
Pretty tame crossing... but that's my opinion. I didn't want to cross. I can't stand that cold.
I start crying with that cold a wawa

We're from Minnesota. We're pretty hearty.
May 24, 2016 03:21PM
erinj816
We're from Minnesota. We're pretty hearty.

hehehehehe

I'm from Green Bay

You would love it here...

I do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 03:23PM by chick-on.
May 18, 2016 06:46PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Sweet! Wonder what trail conditions are like. Creek crossings will surely be a pain.

Well, Gaylor Lakes would involve climbing a wall of snow at the trailhead.
May 18, 2016 11:04AM
The Other Tom
Yay !
Now the big question. I know the official report says the store/grill/campgrounds are closed, but does anyone have an idea of when they might open ?
About how long after the road opens do the commercial facilities open ?

My guess (it's only a guess) is that the store probably will be open for Memorial Day weekend and Tuolumne Lodge in early June. The campgrounds, I have no idea. It will depend on how much snow remains on the campsites and in regards to when they can get the plumbing operational at the campgrounds that have tap water available. Hence, I expect the non-tap water campgrounds, like Tamarack Flat, to open first. Again, all what I said is just a guess. I have no inside information.

Leave No Trace
May 18, 2016 06:28PM
Thanks !
May 22, 2016 03:15PM
YNP put some trailhead pics on their faceybook page

Midweek opening of the pass didn't help this year's venture to the valley either sad smiley
May 22, 2016 03:26PM
A bit of a climb to find the "trail" at the pass:

http://yosemitephotos.net/main.php/v/yosemite/sh-dsc_5123.jpg.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2016 03:27PM by eeek.
May 23, 2016 04:56PM
Store "scheduled" to open this Friday, weather permitting. Biggest problem is the water - or lack there of. Water scheduled to be working on June 10...the same date as the campground opening date. Those legitimate backpackers with permits are allowed to stay BP camp, all others not yet..
May 23, 2016 05:34PM
Thanks Mark
I assume the Lodge opening schedule is the same as the campground...any word ?
May 26, 2016 11:44AM
The Other Tom
I assume the Lodge opening schedule is the same as the campground

Similar is a better word.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login