Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Mesquitos in the valley?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June 03, 2016 01:23PM
Can anyone who has been to the valley recently say how the mosquitoes are in the meadows and along the river. Last year they were almost non existent when we were there in June. But, I know from experience that this changes from year to year based on rainfall and standing water in the meadows.
avatar Re: Mesquitos in the valley?
June 03, 2016 04:06PM
I was in the Valley Saturday morning without bug dope and didn't encounter any problems.
Re: Mesquitos in the valley?
June 03, 2016 05:20PM
I was there last weekend on Saturday morning until about 12:30 pm and no bites but Glacier Point was nasty in the evening. I got bite even wearing bug spray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 05:22PM by parklover.
June 03, 2016 05:27PM
3 weeks back around Mirror lake was nasty! i got bit all over whereas the other two who were wearing full shirts were less affected
June 03, 2016 05:30PM
We weren't near any water except Yosemite Falls so that might have been the reason we didn't get bite.
June 03, 2016 06:07PM
parklover
We weren't near any water except Yosemite Falls so that might have been the reason we didn't get bite.

If you in Yosemite Valley in late May you WERE near water. (Or at least near enough in regards to mosquitos.) With the Merced running high and a lot of marshy meadows, you would have been near mosquito habitat anywhere on the floor of Yosemite Valley. If it was breezy, that would have helped keep the mosquitos at bay (at least for a while).

Leave No Trace
June 03, 2016 09:25PM
plawrence
parklover

If you in Yosemite Valley in late May you WERE near water. (Or at least near enough in regards to mosquitos.) With the Merced running high and a lot of marshy meadows, you would have been near mosquito habitat anywhere on the floor of Yosemite Valley. If it was breezy, that would have helped keep the mosquitoes at bay (at least for a while).
I have been in Yosemite Valley every May since 1988 with the exception of a few years and always encountered mosquitoes but this time we didn't see them. We spent hardly any time in the valley Saturday and that was the only day we went to the valley. All we did was park behind Administration to go to the Visitor Center to get my son's passport stamped, drove to the parking at the Lodge and then walked through the lodge to the bridge at the falls where it was extremely windy, took the shuttle to Degnans and then back to the car and then left. We didn't stop anywhere else in the valley. However there were tons at Yosemite West and also at Glacier Point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2016 09:38PM by parklover.
June 03, 2016 09:52PM
As you mentioned that it was extremely windy, that's probably what kept the mosquitoes from bothering you while you were in the valley. I've been the valley in late May and June a number of times where the mosquitos nuisance varied greatly from one day to another depending how windy or breezy that day was. If the air was relatively still, the mosquitos were very noticeable, but when it became breezy, they were nowhere to be found.

Leave No Trace
June 04, 2016 01:27PM
plawrence
As you mentioned that it was extremely windy, that's probably what kept the mosquitoes from bothering you while you were in the valley. I've been the valley in late May and June a number of times where the mosquitos nuisance varied greatly from one day to another depending how windy or breezy that day was. If the air was relatively still, the mosquitos were very noticeable, but when it became breezy, they were nowhere to be found.
It was breezy only at the falls, the rest of the time it was not. Since we were mostly on paved areas, I am sure the monster Ms were someplace else. I can say that even with bug spray, at Glacier they were drilling right through our clothes. I usually don't get bit but this time it was an exception and I have bites everywhere. My poor son is a bug magnet and has even been bitten by Ladybugs and he always gets nailed before everyone else does despite wearing spray and clothing with inset protection. He was eaten alive at GP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login