Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Possible Trademark Settlement?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Possible Trademark Settlement?
July 08, 2016 08:27AM
A settlement would end federal lawsuit filed by former Yosemite concessionaire

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/crime/article88261797.html
July 08, 2016 11:32AM
Whew! The new names seem to have resulted in a drop of -20% in visitation over last year, so it's clear what value the old ones had. Majestic, indeed!
July 10, 2016 10:31PM
basilbop
Whew! The new names seem to have resulted in a drop of -20% in visitation over last year, so it's clear what value the old ones had. Majestic, indeed!
I am not sure where you got that there is a drop of -20% this year when I have read in several places that it is 20% higher so far this year than last year. In the link you posted it says that YTD for this year is 1,377,266 and last year in the same time period it was 1,147,750 for total recreational visitors and for total non rec visitors it is 56,163 YTD this year and last year
46,113 Those are increases so far for this year not decreases.
avatar Re: Possible Trademark Settlement?
July 11, 2016 06:27AM
A "drop of [negative] 20%" is an increase of 20%...
July 11, 2016 09:24AM
ttilley

Bingo!

Basilbop often plays with words and u have to pay attention, he sneaks in a lot of stuff!!! Keeps me on my toes!!!
July 12, 2016 07:49PM
JustKeepWalking
ttilley

Bingo!

Basilbop often plays with words and u have to pay attention, he sneaks in a lot of stuff!!! Keeps me on my toes!!!
Argggg after a few days of hiking at over 7,000 feet and at 103 degrees, my brain wasn't working.
July 13, 2016 11:32AM
How is a name intellectual property?

Just call me mud.

Chick-on is looking at you!
July 13, 2016 11:56AM
chick-on
How is a name intellectual property?

Just call me mud.

Which was the name of the physician who operated on John Wilkes Booth after he shot Lincoln....thus the expression "your name is Mudd."

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
July 14, 2016 05:18PM
Strangely enough, I don't believe this is really about the money for either side, although Delaware North might just accept a settlement to save face. The feds definitely don't want to set a precedent that the names of the places they own are worth tens of millions to the companies that run those properties.

Of course after this fiasco, concessionaire contract terms have included specific requirements that any trademarks for property owned by NPS will become property of NPS either immediately or at the end of the contract. Someone at NPS must be monitoring trademark applications, especially after Xanterra tried to register several names of properties at the Grand Canyon.
August 14, 2016 12:38PM
I get the feeling this won't be settled anytime soon. In fact, it wouldn't be shocking if DNC tried to trademark "Yosemite." Park will be renamed to Magnificent.
August 14, 2016 02:14PM
Ohnivy-Drak
In fact, it wouldn't be shocking if DNC tried to trademark "Yosemite." Park will be renamed to Magnificent.

Still better than anything with "Trump" in the name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login