All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 13, 2016 01:43PM
So far this year, there have been 13 bear incidents in Yosemite causing $1,192 in damage. Compared to last year (the lowest year on record for bear incidents), incidents are down by over 70 percent, and damage is down by over 53 percent. Compared to 1998 (when incidents in the park peaked) incidents are down by over 92 percent and damage is down by over 99 percent.

Bear Activity Summary: Two incidents occurred this week at the Sunrise Creek, and Cloud’s Rest junctions along the John Muir Trail. One incident occurred after a visitor accidentally left trail mix in the pocket of their pack. The other incident involved a bear entering a campsite and getting food from an open bear canister that was too far from visitors. Remember that while in Yosemite, all food must remain within arm’s reach, unless properly stored in a bear resistant food container. Bears are still being seen foraging naturally along roadsides and in meadows park-wide. If you see a bear along a road—please do not stop in the roadway, and give the bear plenty of space (at least 50 yards).

Red Bear, Dead Bear: Nine bears have been hit by vehicles in Yosemite this year. Five of these bears were killed on impact - including a mother bear that was hit this week, orphaning her three cubs. These cubs were taken to Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care Inc. where they will be cared for until they are old enough to be released back into the park. PLEASE help protect wildlife by obeying speed limits and being prepared to stop for animals in roadways.

Fascinating Bear Fact: Bear milk provides three times the energy when compared to human milk and contains 30-33% fat on average compared to about 3-4% fat of human milk.

Please report bear incidents and sightings—Call the Save-A-Bear Hotline at 209-372-0322 or e-mail yose_bear_mgmt@nps.gov.

Other Wildlife Sightings: Several mountain lions have been reported throughout the park this year, including a recent sighting in Yosemite Valley near Pohono bridge.
July 13, 2016 03:14PM
eeek

Fascinating Bear Fact: Bear milk provides three times the energy when compared to human milk and contains 30-33% fat on average compared to about 3-4% fat of human milk.

Has anyone raised bears in captivity for their milk? Their milk would appear to be perfect for making great tasting ice cream.

Leave No Trace
Re: Bear activity
July 14, 2016 04:49PM
Milking a bear would seem a hazardous undertaking.
July 17, 2016 09:43PM
Alright already! Stop milking this for all it's worth.
July 17, 2016 10:38PM
Besides, being concerned about Lyme disease, I'd only want to try it on bears that aren't infested with arachnids, i.e that lack tick, or that don't have claws, i.e. lack toes, but I don't know if there are any.

So I agree: milking a bear? Udder nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 04:09AM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login