Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (55% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Re: Fireball Car fire at the Yosemite Lodge today.

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Fireball Car fire at the Yosemite Lodge today.
July 18, 2016 02:49PM
A friend of mine mentioned that a car caught on fire today at the Yosemite Lodge today when its owners decided it was a smart idea to cook their meal in the trunk of their car. The car and the one parked next to it got torched. Fortunately, no other damage has been reported.

Leave No Trace
avatar Re: Fireball Car fire at the Yosemite Lodge today.
July 20, 2016 01:09PM
1.) I'm glad no one was injured.
2.) I feel badly for the innocent individual(s) who had the misfortune of parking next to these trunk-barbequers.
3):
July 21, 2016 10:44PM
From the Yosemite Fire and Aviation Facebook page:

July 22, 2016 08:17AM
eye popping smiley Simply incredible! Thanks for sharing!
July 22, 2016 12:03PM
That was me. I flew over and shared one of my fireball breaths. I *am* the firedragon. smiling smiley

FireballScary face
July 24, 2016 01:33PM
WOW! that's the most amazing thing I've ever seen in the valley... (wait for it)... two whole car lot spaces.Head roll
July 28, 2016 12:07PM
And the aftermath:
July 28, 2016 06:55PM
Still looks drivable to me! Head roll
July 20, 2016 02:26PM
In the trunk?? I can see setting up a stove on the closed truck lid, but IN it???
July 20, 2016 03:46PM
Maybe it was windy that day. Placing a stove in the trunk itself might have provided something of a wind break...and a free Darwin Award Honorable Mention...
July 20, 2016 04:48PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
.and a free Darwin Award Honorable Mention...

We insurance rate increase cluster.
July 20, 2016 05:25PM
hotrod4x5
In the trunk?? I can see setting up a stove on the closed truck lid, but IN it???

Yes, in the trunk with the trunk door open. Maybe they were trying to be discreet so not to attrack attention of the authorities. My friend says it was a rental.

Leave No Trace
July 22, 2016 04:53PM
a true Car-B-Q...
July 28, 2016 12:05PM
plawrence
A friend of mine mentioned that a car caught on fire today at the Yosemite Lodge today when its owners decided it was a smart idea to cook their meal in the trunk of their car. The car and the one parked next to it got torched. Fortunately, no other damage has been reported.

From the daily report: "In the past thirty (30) days, five (5) fires which warranted a structural type response have occurred. Of those five (5) fires, All, yes ALL of them have been determined to be of electrical origin.

The facts are as follows:
...- A stereo in a visitor’s vehicle short circuited and caught the vehicle on fire spreading to another visitor’s vehicle near the Yosemite Lodge..."

Why it is not always wise to go on unconfirmed reports and jump to conclusions.
July 28, 2016 06:59PM
buster

The facts are as follows:
...- A stereo in a visitor’s vehicle short circuited and caught the vehicle on fire spreading to another visitor’s vehicle near the Yosemite Lodge..."

Why it is not always wise to go on unconfirmed reports and jump to conclusions.

So that's what they told the fire investigators. Good cover-up story.

Come-on, how often does the stereo in vehicle short-circuit causing a fire? That would be a recall-worthy defect. My source is sticking to the original cause.

Leave No Trace
July 29, 2016 09:53AM
plawrence
Come-on, how often does the stereo in vehicle short-circuit causing a fire? That would be a recall-worthy defect. My source is sticking to the original cause.

I don't know, but then I'm not a professional fire investigator. I highly doubt that the investigators just took the visitors word and didn't do an inspection on the car, especially with the destruction of another car and a potential safety issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 09:57AM by buster.
August 05, 2016 08:51AM
I do have some firsthand knowledge of fire investigations (but not this one). Insurance and/or fire officials will generally conduct an investigation to understand the cause of the fire. If an electrical fire, it is often possible to determine through forensic evidence, typically through discovery of melted wire/conductors (a fire doesn't typically burn the conductor, just insulation; a short circuit will melt the conductor).

It's not necessary to be licensed, trained, or even have a bit of common sense to install a high-powered audio system in a vehicle. If someone did so without use of a fused link, or some sort of circuit protection, a fire is not at all an unlikely outcome.

I have no knowledge of this specific even. Just offering some general information.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login