Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Aramark and existing DNC employees

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Aramark and existing DNC employees
July 25, 2016 10:23AM
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. But I was wondering if Aramark was required to retain all the DNC park employees as part of their contract?
avatar Re: Aramark and existing DNC employees
July 25, 2016 03:44PM
I'd be surprised if that were the case. They required that anyone who wanted to work for them had to apply, even if already working for DN.

http://www.aramark.com/yosemitejobs
July 27, 2016 09:50AM
y_p_w
I'd be surprised if that were the case. They required that anyone who wanted to work for them had to apply, even if already working for DN.

http://www.aramark.com/yosemitejobs

There are a LOT of openings, or at least, they say there are...

https://allcareers-aramark.icims.com/jobs/search?pr=0&searchKeyword=yosemite
July 25, 2016 09:40PM
hotrod4x5
Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. But I was wondering if Aramark was required to retain all the DNC park employees as part of their contract?
Some of the people I know that worked for DNC were offered jobs and others were not and no longer work in the park.
July 27, 2016 07:44AM
There's only one person I know pretty well who works for them. He DID keep his job although was on pins and needles about it for several weeks (not sure how formal his re-application process was). Still, he's typically very outspoken and the last time we saw each other, I noticed he seemed to be defending DNC's position in the trademark suit (or at least pointing out that they're not the cut-and-dried villians much of the press are making them out to be). Given some of the points he was making, I think he may actually believe this but it certainly did feel a bit like he was being pressured to toe the party line (not sure Aramark HAS a "party line" on this so it could just be coincidence).

Our last trip to Yosemite was cut short (my mom passed away the day before we were scheduled to leave) so we only had a few days in the park but the little bit I saw of the various newly branded concessions did not fill me with confidence for the near-term future. They also seem to be having an effect on the non-concession venues in the area (we always stay at Yosemite West when we're in the southern part of the park and their prices have jumped significantly).
July 28, 2016 03:33PM
DavidK42
There's only one person I know pretty well who works for them. He DID keep his job although was on pins and needles about it for several weeks (not sure how formal his re-application process was). Still, he's typically very outspoken and the last time we saw each other, I noticed he seemed to be defending DNC's position in the trademark suit (or at least pointing out that they're not the cut-and-dried villians much of the press are making them out to be). Given some of the points he was making, I think he may actually believe this but it certainly did feel a bit like he was being pressured to toe the party line (not sure Aramark HAS a "party line" on this so it could just be coincidence).

Our last trip to Yosemite was cut short (my mom passed away the day before we were scheduled to leave) so we only had a few days in the park but the little bit I saw of the various newly branded concessions did not fill me with confidence for the near-term future. They also seem to be having an effect on the non-concession venues in the area (we always stay at Yosemite West when we're in the southern part of the park and their prices have jumped significantly).
My condolences on the passing of your mom. I am not sure if you can directly relate the increase in prices in YW to Aramark taking over. They could be taking advantage of the Centennial year and the increase in visitation, prices go up every year and several of the long time owners of the rental companies and properties in YW have sold them and the new owners have been remodeling the properties and most likely decided to raise the prices.
avatar Re: Aramark and existing DNC employees
July 28, 2016 07:19PM
DavidK42

The official Aramark company line is that the trademarks are the property of the American people.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/02/delaware-north-offers-assign-trademarks-yosemite-properties-aramark

"These names that rightfully belong to the American people could be preserved immediately if DNC chose to do the right thing and drop its lawsuit against NPS," Aramark spokesman David Freireich told the Traveler in an email.
July 27, 2016 09:35AM
We were in Yosemite in late February and spoke with several DNC employees that we have become acquainted with through our frequent visits. They did keep their jobs, but just found out the day before we arrived.

edit...I know that everyone had to undergo drug testing. Ha, if they did that when I worked there most of the employees (myself excluded) would've been dismissed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 04:53PM by hikerchick395.
July 28, 2016 05:33PM
hotrod4x5

There was no requirement that any employees were to be retained. (Former) DNC employees could choose to leave or apply for their jobs(or for different jobs). Some were hired and others were not. I assume there were some exceptions like some jobs not being made available to former DNC employees and instead given to Aramark employees.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login