Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Fall colors in the Valley

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Fall colors in the Valley
October 21, 2016 10:30AM
Anybody have an eye witness account of the current fall colors in the valley? I have camping reservations for the week of 10/31 but I'm worried I'll be a little late for the colors.
avatar Re: Fall colors in the Valley
October 21, 2016 09:01PM
mtn man
Anybody have an eye witness account of the current fall colors in the valley? I have camping reservations for the week of 10/31 but I'm worried I'll be a little late for the colors.

Historically, the last week of October is considered the best week for fall color around Yosemite Valley, though it can vary year to year. But if the weather holds up — even if it turns out to be past peak — a week camping in Yosemite Valley will still be a great week any way you cut it.

Leave No Trace
October 22, 2016 06:55AM
I'm leaving tomorrow for a week in the Valley.If I can manage it, I'll post some pics.
October 22, 2016 02:06PM
Thanks!!
October 21, 2016 09:36PM
I was there the weekend of Oct 7 and the sugar maple near the Chapel was almost 2/3 turned but it was not the intense colors we have seen in the past. Some of the big leaf maples and dogwoods were starting to turn. It is so dry that it might mean that the leaves will shrivel up and fall off the trees before they really turn. I have to agree with Plawrence that a weeks camping trip is worthwhile even if the trees are past peak.
October 22, 2016 06:41PM
I was there yesterday. Sadly the latest storm has blown off almost all the leaves from the Sugar Maple. It's done for this year.
As for the rest, the colors are brilliant on the Wawona road right now from Chinquipin to the valley. The west end of the valley has yet to fully change. It's about 50% but leaves are dropping rapidly. The dogwoods are still in the "light pink" stage. Southside drive from Bridalveil to the El Cap cutoff has a lot of color from the maples but they're losing leaves quickly.
October 24, 2016 08:44AM
Thanks for the report!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login