All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Flooding in Yosemite Valley?
December 14, 2016 04:12PM
I just saw on KCRA Sacramento news, that the Valley floor will most likely be closed because of flooding by tomorrow or Friday. it's been a long time since it did that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 04:12PM by forrestranger.
Re: Flooding in Yosemite Valley?
December 14, 2016 04:36PM
Wow! I have not paid attention to the weather. I assume the snow level is very high and therefore there is lots of rain falling?
avatar Re: Flooding in Yosemite Valley?
December 15, 2016 08:24AM
Wasn't the last big flood because warm rain fell on a large snow pack? It would depend on how warm this rain is and how high the snow level is. With the amount of rain coming in a short time, there could well be some minor flooding. Closing the Valley is probably a good idea.

I just saw this in another thread; "The forecast for the merced river at pohono bridge shows the River rising just above flood stage on thursday night..." Flood stage there is well below the top of the bank. Still, that's a lot of water. The flooding will probably be around the campgrounds at the east end of the Valley.

Of course, nature could prove me wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2016 08:28AM by Dave.
December 15, 2016 02:40PM
December 15, 2016 02:50PM
From that announcement: Rainfall during this storm will raise water levels in the Merced River over 14’, several feet above flood stage at the Pohono River Gauge.

That will put water on the road in several places. I'm thinking the river is pretty close to road level around the Cookie Crumble.
December 15, 2016 04:08PM
Everyone please be safe.
December 15, 2016 06:40PM
I was hoping to see the river at Happy Isles, but the webcam is gone?
December 15, 2016 09:49PM
When the rain stops I'm thinking of driving up the Merced Canyon just to see what it looks like. I'll post some pictures.
December 16, 2016 01:56AM
hotrod4x5
I was hoping to see the river at Happy Isles, but the webcam is gone?

You can find that cam here if you scroll down:

http://www.militarygearhq.com/ti/cams.shtml
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login