Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Half Dome Village (i.e. Curry Village, i.e. Camp Curry) Ice Rink is Now Open

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Half Dome Village (i.e. Curry Village, i.e. Camp Curry) Ice Rink is Now Open
December 29, 2016 01:12AM
The Half Dome Village Ice Rink is now open for the 2016-17 season. The new seasonal ice rink is located on the eastern section of Half Dome Village in the main parking area <marketing>with stunning views of Half Dome.</marketing>
Re: Half Dome Village (i.e. Curry Village, i.e. Camp Curry) Ice Rink is Now Open
December 29, 2016 09:28AM
So they moved it? I thought the rumor mill said it was going away for good. Would be interested in seeing some pictures of the new installation.
December 29, 2016 10:45AM
hotrod4x5
So they moved it? I thought the rumor mill said it was going away for good. Would be interested in seeing some pictures of the new installation.

It think the operative word in the press release is 'seasonal'. The permanent ice rink is gone, converted to parking. However, this is a temporary, or seasonal, ice rink that is put and taken down. It is smaller than the previous one but still an ice rink.
avatar Re: Half Dome Village (i.e. Curry Village, i.e. Camp Curry) Ice Rink is Now Open
December 29, 2016 11:16AM
It now located close to the location where the original Camp Curry ice rink used to be (which was also seasonal). So they're going back to their roots in regards to the ice rink.

Leave No Trace
January 03, 2017 06:31PM
My son went skating twice on it while we were there. It is much smaller than the previous rink and with Badger not being opened yet, it was horribly crowded. The first time he went, they were having issues with the compressor so the ice was soft and rough. Also the rink being smaller, the Zamboni is having issues with getting around the rink so the ice along the edges are not smooth. He skated on New Years day and the ice was better but still a lot of people. I heard it through the grapvine that the NPS was giving Aramark problems with a few things so that is why it didn't open earlier. The NPS really doesn't want a ice rink there and it sounds like they are making things hard on Aramark so they will give it up.
January 08, 2017 10:30AM
They should have just left the permanent one in place.
January 08, 2017 06:49PM
hotrod4x5
I agree, the new one is not big enough for the amount of people that want to use it. However, they will need that area for parking for the new employee housing that is supposed to be built. Personally, I feel that since they are not working on that area this winter, they should have left the old one up and running this winter. BTW, when we were there we didn't see anyone working on the remodeling of Degnan's Deli and The Loft. A employee told me that they have not worked on it for a long time. I have no idea how they expect to get it finished by the projected time of spring now. When we were there, people were complaining about the lack of places to eat and it would have been nice to have Degnans opened.
avatar Re: Half Dome Village (i.e. Curry Village, i.e. Camp Curry) Ice Rink is Now Open
January 09, 2017 09:59AM
I don't understand why people are complaining. This has been in the MRP for a long time. This is nothing new or unexpected.
January 09, 2017 11:31PM
Dave
I don't understand why people are complaining. This has been in the MRP for a long time. This is nothing new or unexpected.
I think most of us here are aware that it was in the MRP. That does not mean that people can't be unhappy about the new rink. I was one of many people that made it clear during the MRP comment period that I felt the ice rink has been historically a part of Curry Village and the winter Yosemite experience and should be retained. I am grateful that the rink will be retained and will actually be put back in it's historic location, however there are issues that are making people unhappy. Since I can't ice skate anymore, I had hours while watching my son skate, to hear people's complaints and talk to people and many of those people were long time Yosemite goers and were aware of the MRP decision. One thing that people were upset with was that they removed the old skating rink in November and there is currently no construction for the new parking lot and employee housing going on in that area and in fact this is where visitors are now parking because the new rink is in the Curry Village parking lot. They could have left the old rink in place and in use for this season and it would have opened at it's normal time and not at the last minute on Dec. 25. After the busy holiday season, if they wanted to start construction, they could have closed the rink earlier than usual. The MRP never said that the new rink would be 2/3 the size of the old one and people were not happy because the rink is too small and because Badger was not opened, it was very crowded to the point it was dangerous at times. The ice was not good because the compressor that was rented was not working well and the Zamboni is too big for this rink, people were confused on what was going on because you didn't find out until you were at the rink that you had to pay at the Activities Desk near registration, and you could tell that everything was slapped together at the last minute which made the operation of the rink difficult for the employees and impacted the visitor experience.
January 10, 2017 08:46AM
The time to complain was during the comment period. It's a little late now. Yosemite is not a theme park. I would not have a skating rink there at all.
January 10, 2017 12:31PM
Yosemite Valley was set aside in 1864 not only to preserve its natural beauty, but to remain open to all the public as an outdoor recreation area and resort. Hence the hotels, camps and even saloons that were built within the valley. And outdoor ice rink is in keeping with its mission as place of recreation for the public at large.

No, it's not a theme park nor is it (like more modern national parks) land that was set aside only for the preservation of its wilderness. (Though most of Yosemite National Park is set aside as wilderness — as it should be.)

Yosemite is many different things to many people. And that's all good as long as it doesn't degrade the protected wilderness and wild rivers contained within Yosemite.

Leave No Trace
January 10, 2017 01:58PM
You cannot preserve the beauty of a national park and have a theme park. An artificial ice rink does not belong in a national park. The plan to move such artificial attractions out of the Park is a good one. The golf course should go next.
January 09, 2017 10:41AM
parklover
hotrod4x5
I agree, the new one is not big enough for the amount of people that want to use it. However, they will need that area for parking for the new employee housing that is supposed to be built. Personally, I feel that since they are not working on that area this winter, they should have left the old one up and running this winter. BTW, when we were there we didn't see anyone working on the remodeling of Degnan's Deli and The Loft. A employee told me that they have not worked on it for a long time. I have no idea how they expect to get it finished by the projected time of spring now. When we were there, people were complaining about the lack of places to eat and it would have been nice to have Degnans opened.

Yes, in winter there's very limited dining options for park visitors. It's worse if one is staying in the valley for multiple nights. I've often stayed for a full week in Yosemite in February and one has to plan one's meals carefully for it not to get too monotonous.

Leave No Trace
January 09, 2017 06:57PM
plawrence
parklover
hotrod4x5

Yes, in winter there's very limited dining options for park visitors. It's worse if one is staying in the valley for multiple nights. I've often stayed for a full week in Yosemite in February and one has to plan one's meals carefully for it not to get too monotonous.
My family is spending three nights at the Lodge in Feb and you're right, it's kind of a pain. Last time we ended up eating several frozen pizzas and other things bought and cooked in the store one night.
January 09, 2017 10:51PM
hotrod4x5
plawrence

t's worse if one is staying in the valley for multiple nights. I've often stayed for a full week in Yosemite in February and one has to plan one's meals carefully for it not to get too monotonous.

My family is spending three nights at the Lodge in Feb and you're right, it's kind of a pain. Last time we ended up eating several frozen pizzas and other things bought and cooked in the store one night.

If I'm staying over a Friday or Saturday night, I make sure the Friday or Saturday night dinner is at the Half Dome Village (formerly Curry Village) Pizza Patio (since it's only open on Friday & Saturday nights in winter). The only other reasonable dinner options are the Mountain Room and Food Court at the Lodge (I'm not going to dress up for dinner at the Majestic (formerly the Ahwahnee) dining room. We usually treat ourselves to one dinner at the Mountain Room, but the rest of the dinners is at the Food Court or sometimes at the Mountain Room Lounge or the Majestic (Ahwahnee) bar with their limited bar menus.

For lunch, besides the Lodge's Food Court, it would be Degnan's Deli and then one lunch at the Majestic (Ahwahnee) dining room. Breakfast always at the Lodge Food Court.

Leave No Trace
February 07, 2017 05:56PM
I just hope they started working on Degnans and get it done before things start hopping again. I miss my #3 sandwich and I hope I will still be able to get one with the new way the Deli is going to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login