Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (58% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Big Oak Flat Road closed

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

February 05, 2017 02:39PM
There has been a rockfall near Rattlesnake Creek. That's about a mile north of the Foresta junction. The road is closed until further notice.
avatar Re: Big Oak Flat Road closed
February 06, 2017 10:37AM
Big Oak Flat Road will remain closed at least until tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, due to a rockfall that began yesterday morning. Material is continuing to come down and there's a boulder that appears to be in an unstable position. Several more inches of rain are forecast in the next few days
February 06, 2017 07:35PM
Rattlesnake Creek?

Is that Asphalt corner?

Is the rockfall up or down hill from Asphalt corner?
February 06, 2017 09:27PM
I don't know Asphalt Corner. Going north, you pass Foresta, go around a sharp left hand corner, then a sharp right hand corner, go a little ways and there's a creek coming in on the right. That's Rattlesnake Creek. It's about 2 miles from the Foresta Road/BOF Road junction.
February 06, 2017 09:40PM
The 'sharp left hand corner' is 'Asphalt Corner'.

( named after a rather gruesome fatal accident where a truck load of asphalt overturned onto a car )
Off the Wall: Death in Yosemite
February 07, 2017 08:45AM
Ouch. I've seen a couple of other accidents at that corner. It seems people going north forget to turn.
February 07, 2017 02:11PM
February 07, 2017 06:21PM
yes. That hairpin turn is Asphalt Curve. Continue northwest, after the right hand turn, and you'll see Rattlesnake Creek coming in on the left. From the pictures the Yosemite Conservancy has on their Facebook page, I think it's just before the creek.
February 07, 2017 07:54PM
Dave
yes. That hairpin turn is Asphalt Curve. Continue northwest, after the right hand turn, and you'll see Rattlesnake Creek coming in on the left. From the pictures the Yosemite Conservancy has on their Facebook page, I think it's just before the creek.
Facebook mudslide video
February 07, 2017 09:30PM
This has brought up something I've been thinking about for awhile. I've worked in the Park since 2004. I have never seen a good map showing all the place names on the roads. Is there some way we can start compiling one here?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login