Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Horsetail 2017

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Horsetail 2017
February 17, 2017 01:02PM
Let's continue the tradition, a thread every year. We're right in the middle of the window. Conditions must be a mixed bag, at best? I'd say they've likely been awful, but any official reports?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 01:03PM by Ohnivy-Drak.
February 17, 2017 01:14PM
I'm no official...

But it didn't happen Wednesday... too cloudy...

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 17, 2017 03:27PM
My daughter got fantastic pictures on Saturday 2/11. The flow was very big and the light show was spectacular.
February 17, 2017 04:49PM
February 17, 2017 05:13PM
February 17, 2017 06:15PM
boyet
I got it Monday 2/13.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-NjaEsoues9Q2I5Z1lRS3JBaTA

That's a great photo. Got the light just on the fall itself and not the cliffs. Great job! Thanks for sharing the link.

Leave No Trace
February 17, 2017 07:38PM
plawrence

That's a great photo. Got the light just on the fall itself and not the cliffs. Great job! Thanks for sharing the link.

Thanks. Just giving back after lurking and benefiting here for so many years. I lucked out actually as this was my first time to come out and see Horsetail for real, and I was totally blown away.
February 18, 2017 02:04PM
boyet
plawrence

Thanks. Just giving back after lurking and benefiting here for so many years. I lucked out actually as this was my first time to come out and see Horsetail for real, and I was totally blown away.

BTW, here is a 90-sec video clip in HD. video: https://youtu.be/q3dJrddXmKQ
February 20, 2017 01:54PM
boyet

BTW, here is a 90-sec video clip in HD.

Wow. That's a really nice video. Thank you for sharing it.

Having perfect weather conditions early in the annual February window is great because that's when the sunlight that hits Horsetail Fall is at its reddest.

Leave No Trace
February 20, 2017 03:44PM
plawrence
boyet

BTW, here is a 90-sec video clip in HD.

Wow. That's a really nice video. Thank you for sharing it.

Having perfect weather conditions early in the annual February window is great because that's when the sunlight that hits Horsetail Fall is at its reddest.

Thanks for laying out the video. I believe you're right. I actually spent two days there. Monday was partly cloudy and that was when I took the best picture. Tuesday was all sunny and it wasn't as good as the previous day.I guess the clouds acted partly as sunlight filters. According to forecast, it will be partly cloudy this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Maybe last chance to get a good view?
February 21, 2017 09:20AM
Very cool video. The fall is really flowing this year. Happy to see the skies were clear enough some days for people to enjoy. Are the crowds as large as usual?
March 17, 2017 07:34PM
I caught this video in late February. Conditions weren't ideal , but still a nice effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VBtWmrKfU
February 17, 2017 06:13PM
Ohnivy-Drak
Let's continue the tradition, a thread every year. We're right in the middle of the window. Conditions must be a mixed bag, at best? I'd say they've likely been awful, but any official reports?

Based on all the photos I've seen on Facebook, it's a been a speculator year so far.

Leave No Trace
February 21, 2017 09:01AM
Nice to hear. I guess the skies were pretty clear for 3-4 days last week, perhaps Sat - Mon, maybe Tue? Starting Wednesday, perhaps not. Any reports from this past weekend?
February 22, 2017 08:47AM
It looks like weather will be clear next few days. Conditions should be great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login