All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Entrance sign on 140 stolen
March 06, 2017 08:37PM
Don't have a picture... but found out someone stole the sign on March 1st.
Sigh. Cmon already... really?

And then we go to Sequoia and some jerk went and stole the Ladybug sign.
Really?

Then (like as recently as end of Jan) :

Now:
sigh!

grrrrrr!

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: Entrance sign on 140 stolen
March 06, 2017 08:42PM
Very frustrating. Made me mad. Both. Ugh.
avatar Re: Entrance sign on 140 stolen
March 07, 2017 07:29AM
chick-on

Do you mean the actual NPS wooden sign itself?! sad smiley
That's terrible, and along with the Ahwahnee sign that was stolen last year as well, who are these losers that would stoop so low?

March 07, 2017 08:29AM
PineCone
chick-on

Do you mean the actual NPS wooden sign itself?! sad smiley
That's terrible, and along with the Ahwahnee sign that was stolen last year as well, who are these losers that would stoop so low?

Yup. When we drove in last week Thursday morning, it wasn't there. We commented on it, Chick-on thought maybe they were restoring it..

We ended up chatting with the entrance guy about road conditions, didn't mention the sign.. but when we left, we chatted with a different guy and he mentioned the sign had been stolen overnight! Maybe we should have mentioned on way in!

Anyway, the sign is huge! Really? And why? So damn frustrating! I start fuming thinking about it...
March 20, 2017 05:43PM
Still not returned... sigh..

March 21, 2017 06:35PM
Well, that football guy's jersey showed up so maybe someone will see the sign hanging in a man cave somewhere and report it. People that take stuff like that can't keep it quiet for long.

Old Dude
March 07, 2017 03:16PM
for crying out loud... unbelievable
March 07, 2017 10:33PM
This makes me so mad for both of the signs. We were last in the park on Feb 26 and as we were leaving the park, I mentioned that since we don't go in and out the 140 that we don't have a picture of us with the sign but my hubby said we would take it another time. Darn, double darn.
March 10, 2017 05:09AM
Looks like they stole Ms KeepWalking too.
March 10, 2017 07:36AM
Found her!

March 14, 2017 07:58PM
Wow. I was hoping (not the best strategy, admittedly) that the Ahwahnee sign had been taken by "benevolent rule-breakers" out of concern for what may happen to it with the trademark dispute. Perhaps foolish of me, I wondered if it would reappear some time after the dispute is settled, similar to how it disappeared.

With this new report, I'm having a hard time holding on to my hope about either sign ever returning. Darn.
March 14, 2017 08:10PM
The Ahwahnee sign I still have hope was a benevolent event.
I don't see any way that the 140 entrance sign could be anything other than malevolent.
March 14, 2017 08:50PM
Somebody took the sign at Turkey Blop View as well:

This one:

There was enough stuff below the trail where the sign was that it's possible it was taken out by nature, but...
March 14, 2017 11:32PM
Maybe the sign was taken out by a jealous plush toy African Grey that wants the vista point renamed "Parrot View".

Leave No Trace
March 21, 2017 10:05AM
What would possess a person to do something like this? Perhaps kleptomania. Otherwise, I don't get it. Odds are: college kid(s)?
March 21, 2017 01:54PM
Ohnivy-Drak
What would possess a person to do something like this? Perhaps kleptomania. Otherwise, I don't get it. Odds are: college kid(s)?

Easy: souvenir hunters.

I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been stolen more often.

Leave No Trace
April 11, 2017 07:03PM
It's been replaced...

April 11, 2017 08:55PM
I saw it on my way out today. The Sign Shop did a good job. I wonder if they changed the way it is hung up there and made it so it cannot be taken down easily?
April 12, 2017 05:59PM
YEAH, it is back. Now I wish that they would put back the huge grey and black sign of the valley that used to be at a pull off on the 41. The entrance sign they replaced it with is at a different location and there isn't room for people to pull off and take a picture of it and be off the road. Almost hit a person standing in the road taking a picture of it.
April 15, 2017 11:18PM
I'm guessing my pic above does not show up because it was not in a shared folder. I have now moved it to a shared folder, so am trying again ;-)

Steve

<note - chick-on deleted the link on account it doesn't show up and all and such>

fwiw... Steve drove by on the 10th and took the picture that he put in a post below

Please drive thru
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 04:33PM by chick-on.
April 16, 2017 12:15AM
Still don't see it.
April 16, 2017 04:58AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
Still don't see it.

Oh man. Maybe I copied the wrong link. Let me try again.

After posting this link I then checked that it worked on my wife's laptop, and came back in and edited this post. Hopefully it shows up here now for others to see (I can see my own pics even if not in a shared album, so it makes it hard to tell if it is working or not). And of course this is sort of bizarre sharing a picture of a sign that isn't any long there...or in other words, a picture of nothing ;-)

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 05:03AM by calberry.
April 16, 2017 06:11PM
I hope that isn't a picture taken by a person while driving. Or by a person stopped in the middle of the road to take a picture either. Folks, please drive safely and drivers please pull all the way off the road and stop in a safe place to take pictures.
April 17, 2017 02:59PM
I can see your photo now.

So based on your photo and the chick-on's photo, it looks like the new sign was installed sometime on the 10th or 11th of April.

Leave No Trace
April 17, 2017 10:30AM
Just to be clear here...

the sign was replaced during the day of the 10th or 11th...

i.e. :

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,87943,88471#msg-88471

It has not been stolen again

(as far as I know)

April 17, 2017 10:47PM
After reading that the sign was back up I went back and checked my shots leaving the park on the 14th, and sure enough, there it is! As you look at this pic, notice the back-up getting into the park. The traffic was backed up all the way from the Arch Rock entrance down to the Yosemite View motel. This picture was taken at about 1:15pm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 07:49AM by calberry.
April 18, 2017 07:08AM
Pic not showing.

You may want to move to flikr. It's free and easy.
(just make up a new abuser id)

Anywho, maybe you are also in flat mode and miss posts.
I dunno...

April 18, 2017 08:02AM
What does 'flat mode' mean? I tried Flikr on a trial basis a few years ago, but for the past 15 years have been using Google Picasa and uploading pics to Google Photos (also free). I recently got a Google Pixel phone with a remarkable camera (I no longer need to keep my Canon 70D at my side). It automatically uploads all pics to the Google cloud with unlimited storage, and that also is free.

I have refreshed the picture link, and can now see it on my wife's laptop. Clearly I think the issue here is 'operator error'. In order to allow others to see my photos I need to copy them from my personal albums to a 'shared' album. For sharing purposes that means the same pic ends up in two folders simultaneously, each with a separate URL. I assume that I simply get in a hurry and copy the wrong URL when posting. From now on I will verify photo posts by checking them on my wife's laptop.

Sorry for the hassle.

Steve
April 18, 2017 09:31AM
Ok.

I meant the forum setting where you only see one post at a time..
and you have to click on each post to see it.

Anyway, the line wasn't that bad when left Tuesday... but it wouldn't have been fun.
That just looks like torture.

April 18, 2017 10:34AM
chick-on
Pic not showing.

You may want to move to flikr. It's free and easy.
(just make up a new abuser id)

Another free and easy to use website one can upload photos that will generate a static URL so you can link your photos to websites is: https://postimage.io (It's similar to tinypic.com but with a cleaner interface and less ads (and no annoying pop-up ads).

Leave No Trace
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login