Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Need directions for posting pictures in a forum

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Need directions for posting pictures in a forum
April 15, 2017 01:29PM
How do I go about inserting a picture in a thread? When I select the icon to add a picture it asks for a URL. Do all pictures need to come from an internet site, or can they be attached directly from a file on my laptop.

Thx

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 01:41PM by calberry.
avatar Re: Need directions for posting pictures in a forum
April 15, 2017 03:06PM
Yes, photos must reside elsewhere on the web and be referenced into threads here, not uploaded here.
April 15, 2017 03:27PM
OK, great. Thanks for the feedback. Now here's a test. I selected the icon for adding a photo, entered the link, and clicked on OK. Hopefully it works...although in preview I do not see it ;-)

Steve

April 15, 2017 03:28PM
And now that I have posted it I do not see it ;-( Clearly I'm missing a point here...LOL.

Steve
April 15, 2017 03:31PM
OK figured it out. When I went to my Google photos and clicked on the 'share link' and copy, it didn't work. But wnen went into photo properties and copied the link (which was different) it worked. This just happens to be a pic from camping this weekend. I have some others that I will share in another thread now that I know how to do it.

Steve

April 15, 2017 03:44PM
calberry
And now that I have posted it I do not see it ;-( Clearly I'm missing a point here...LOL.

Steve

You post a link to a page; you need to post the link to the actual image.
April 15, 2017 04:22PM
eeek
calberry

Steve

You post a link to a page; you need to post the link to the actual image.

OK, I didn't grasp that distinction before. Got it now though. Thx. Old Dog and new tricks ;-)
April 15, 2017 07:53PM
  • Go to the image in Google Photos.
  • Double-click it so you see just that photo in large size.
  • Right-click the image.
  • A menu pops up. Click "copy image location".
  • Come back here and click the "insert image" icon.
  • Hit Cntrl+V to paste the copied image location.
  • Done. In Win10 anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2017 07:53PM by JRinGeorgia.
April 15, 2017 11:30PM
I had posted some pics earlier today in a couple of other threads that were not visible. And I'm guessing that the one in this thread from 3:31pm was also not visible. That was because the original link I copied was from a personal folder and not a shared folder. So let me try it again with the pic from the shared folder.

Here were my steps.
1. Went to my Google Cloud acct.
2. Created a shared folder.
3. Move the pictures I wanted to share into that folder.
4. Copied the image address
5. Selected the add photo icon from the tool bar above the draft panel.
6. Pasted the link
7. Done (hopefully)

Steve

FYI, this was the view from our campsite this past week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 05:06AM by calberry.
April 16, 2017 06:03AM
JRinGeorgia
  • Go to the image in Google Photos.
  • Double-click it so you see just that photo in large size.
  • Right-click the image.
  • A menu pops up. Click "copy image location".
  • Come back here and click the "insert image" icon.
  • Hit Cntrl+V to paste the copied image location.
  • Done. In Win10 anyways.

Thanks! The secondary issue I had though (I think) is the 'security' of my google albums. My albums/photos are all private unless I 'share' them. So an additional step I needed to take was to copy the picture into a shared folder and then get the new link of the pic in that folder instead of the original. I think that now works. One issue though is that I can view my 'private' pics here when others can't. So I can't tell if I have posted a private pic or a shared one. A 'work around' for that is to open this website on my wife's laptop (on the kitchen table two feet away). If I can't see the pics in my posts on her computer then I know I have posted the link from the wrong album.

Steve
July 10, 2017 10:51AM
Is this still the only way to add pictures to posts? I understand that it may be a conscious choice to reduce the amount of storage needed by offloading the many pictures posted (especially when replies copy them too). For those that don't store pictures in the (public) cloud it adds a few steps compared to drag-n-drop...

Not complaining, just asking
July 28, 2017 09:51AM
ags
Is this still the only way to add pictures to posts? I understand that it may be a conscious choice to reduce the amount of storage needed by offloading the many pictures posted (especially when replies copy them too). For those that don't store pictures in the (public) cloud it adds a few steps compared to drag-n-drop...

The photos must be hosted online somewhere, then that URL used here. That is the only way.
July 28, 2017 05:13PM
ags

It's certainly possible in any number of different forums. And as you noted it means that the forum itself must have storage provisioned for all the images or documents.

The sites that I've seen that allow users to upload photos (or even other files) typically make their availability limited. Typically they won't allow the image to be viewed unless someone is logged in, or maybe just a thumbnail is available until logged in.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login