Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Mariposa Update ?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 16, 2017 10:41PM
Does anyone know what the status of the Mariposa Grove is? I know that when it was first closed you could still hike in from the trail leading from the Wawonna to the upper part of the grove. Can one still do this. Or is the grove completely closed. We are returning in mid June and staying at Wawonna for two nights.
April 17, 2017 06:26AM
Effectively nothing has changed....

It's still closed...

And you can still hike the outer loop from Fishcamp slash Goat Meadow area...
or up from Wawona or 41 midway - ish...

It doesn't show the Biledo Meadow trail... but that is open too...
(which is require for Yosemite Trail Quest completion status) (unless ur OD) smiling smiley

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

Have fun

(as you know... there are lots of "grove closed... don't even think about taking this trail" signs...
so oblivously obey them ... (though they did a real bang up job marking the trail up from Fish Camp))

Chick-on is looking at you!
April 17, 2017 08:54AM
Unfortunately, this winter's weather delayed everything so it is now scheduled for the fall. If you don't want to do the long hike to the Mariposa Grove then you could go to the Merced or Tuolumne Groves if you want to see redwoods. Hopefully by June they will have the section of the 120 between Foresta and Crane Flat opened by then.
April 17, 2017 10:13PM
parklover
Unfortunately, this winter's weather delayed everything so it is now scheduled for the fall. If you don't want to do the long hike to the Mariposa Grove then you could go to the Merced or Tuolumne Groves if you want to see redwoods. Hopefully by June they will have the section of the 120 between Foresta and Crane Flat opened by then.

I think Parklover meant to write "if you want to see *Sequoias* in Yosemite".
April 18, 2017 06:08AM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
parklover

Well, Parklover was technically correct. From Wikipedia

"Sequoiadendron giganteum (giant sequoia; also known as giant redwood, Sierra redwood, Sierran redwood, Wellingtonia or simply Big Tree—a nickname used by John Muir[2]) is the sole living species in the genus Sequoiadendron, and one of three species of coniferous trees known as redwoods, classified in the family Cupressaceae in the subfamily Sequoioideae, together with Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (dawn redwood)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoiadendron_giganteum

Now, if only I knew the definition of "boop"...or is it "bop" ?? smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 06:10AM by The Other Tom.
April 18, 2017 07:05AM
Boop : well hello there, glad to meet you, I hope you are doing well today, so glad to
be in your company, isn't it a wonderful day thank you for sharing it with me

BOOP!

April 18, 2017 11:53AM
chick-on
Boop : well hello there, glad to meet you, I hope you are doing well today, so glad to
be in your company, isn't it a wonderful day thank you for sharing it with me

BOOP!
Thanks
April 20, 2017 09:35PM
Not quite The Geezer, but getting there
parklover

Well since we were talking about Mariposa Grove, you are correct, in Yosemite. Otherwise there is the giants in Sequoia NP or the coastals in Redwood NP and other areas along the northern coast. Or the coastals in my front and back yards.
April 18, 2017 10:53AM
parklover
Hopefully by June they will have the section of the 120 between Foresta and Crane Flat opened by then.

I truly doubt that section of the Big Oak Flat Road (it actually once was signed (a very long time ago) as Hwy 41, not Hwy 120) won't be fixed and reopened until late summer — at the earliest.

There's so much work they must do to repair that road. That's why there's no official estimate about when that portion of Big Oak Flat Road will be reopened. I wouldn't be surprised if the reopening of that portion of the road happen doesn't occur until sometime in 2018 (though I truly hope they are able to opened it sometime in the fall, while Tioga Road is still open).

Leave No Trace
April 20, 2017 09:43PM
plawrence
parklover
Hopefully by June they will have the section of the 120 between Foresta and Crane Flat opened by then.

I truly doubt that section of the Big Oak Flat Road (it actually once was signed (a very long time ago) as Hwy 41, not Hwy 120) won't be fixed and reopened until late summer — at the earliest.

There's so much work they must do to repair that road. That's why there's no official estimate about when that portion of Big Oak Flat Road will be reopened. I wouldn't be surprised if the reopening of that portion of the road happen doesn't occur until sometime in 2018 (though I truly hope they are able to opened it sometime in the fall, while Tioga Road is still open).
One can always hope but that doesn't mean it will happen. LOL This is a small section from the Daily Report on the progress:

Yosemite National Park Continues to Repair Big Oak Flat Road - Yosemite News Release April 18, 2017 4:30 pm
Repair work on Big Oak Flat Road continues to progress   

Yosemite National Park reports that progress continues to be made on repairs to the Big Oak Flat road. In early April, road crews dug down 65 feet to the bottom of an underground spring that caused soils to erode. The slope has been stabilized and soil and rock have been brought into the park to rebuild the roadbed. As of today, the roadbed has been built up 26 feet, which is about half way to the surface of the road. The park pledges to announce an opening date for the Big Oak Flat road as soon as it becomes available.

With the impact on visitors and the local economy, I am sure the park is working as fast as possible to get it reopened.

April 21, 2017 02:11PM
parklover
With the impact on visitors and the local economy, I am sure the park is working as fast as possible to get it reopened.

I am sure that they are. It is just that there's a massive amount of work that needs to be done before they can reopen that portion of BOFR to traffic.

Leave No Trace
April 18, 2017 05:29PM
Can you go up the 120 from the valley to Cascade Creek bridge?
April 18, 2017 06:31PM
ERICG
Can you go up the 120 from the valley to Cascade Creek bridge?

Yes, you can go as far as the Foresta junction.
April 18, 2017 06:48PM
Of course:

smiling smiley

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,87929

This day was amazing... kinda nice to have Half a Dome View to selfs...
for long long time...

Shhhh .... don't tell too many

Grinning Devil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login