Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Administrative Traffic Only Only on Glacier Point Road

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Administrative Traffic Only Only on Glacier Point Road
April 20, 2017 02:23PM
The Glacier Point Road is now open for Admin Access only out to Glacier Point. Forestry is still working in the area so vehicles need to watch for their activities. Yosemite Hospitality will start having work crews going out to Glacier Point as well.

Be advised there will likely be some snow and definitely ice and running water on the roadway, so please slow down. Because of the high snow banks, there are few pullouts on the roadsides. The gate at Chinquapin will need to remain closed and locked at all times. Bicycles are still not allowed on the road.
avatar Re: Administrative Traffic Only Only on Glacier Point Road
April 21, 2017 02:14PM
This is great news. It's means that Glacier Point Road will probably be opened to the public within three weeks, maybe even sooner.

Leave No Trace
April 24, 2017 02:05PM
plawrence
This is great news. It's means that Glacier Point Road will probably be opened to the public within three weeks, maybe even sooner.

Is that usually the case when they open it for Admin access? I have tentative plans to camp at Wawona starting May 15 but I really don't want to go if Glacier Pt Road is still closed. My main objective is to photograph the waterfalls from Sentinel Dome and Washburn Point while still beating the summer crowds.

Thanks.
April 24, 2017 04:12PM
JohnC
plawrence

Is that usually the case when they open it for Admin access? I have tentative plans to camp at Wawona starting May 15 but I really don't want to go if Glacier Pt Road is still closed. My main objective is to photograph the waterfalls from Sentinel Dome and Washburn Point while still beating the summer crowds.

Thanks.

Yes, barring some unforeseen major spring snowstorm, opening the road for administrative use means that the road is clear and the Park Service just needs to do some minor road repairs and cut down any winter-damaged trees along the road that they now deem to be unsafe before reopening the road to the public. They usually also wait until the restrooms in the Glacier Point parking lot are serviced and opened for public use.

Leave No Trace
April 24, 2017 04:28PM
plawrence
JohnC
plawrence

Thanks.

Yes, barring some unforeseen major spring snowstorm, opening the road for administrative use means that the road is clear and the Park Service just needs to do some minor road repairs and cut down any winter-damaged trees along the road that they now deem to be unsafe before reopening the road to the public. They usually also wait until the restrooms in the Glacier Point parking lot are serviced and opened for public use.

Good to hear. Thanks. :-)
Re: Administrative Traffic Only Only on Glacier Point Road
April 24, 2017 10:13PM
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info from since it is not mentioned anywhere in the park's official website? This is the latest update from the park's Facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS/posts/1305692722812340
April 24, 2017 10:39PM
arthas86
Just out of curiosity, where did you get this info from since it is not mentioned anywhere in the park's official website? This is the latest update from the park's Facebook post:
https://www.facebook.com/YosemiteNPS/posts/1305692722812340

It's was posted on Yosemite Park's "Daily Report".

Leave No Trace
Re: Administrative Traffic Only Only on Glacier Point Road
April 25, 2017 10:30AM
Oh I found it, Thanks!
April 21, 2017 08:59PM

NPS Photo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login