Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Kit Carson - South of Lake Tahoe

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Kit Carson - South of Lake Tahoe
April 28, 2017 11:08PM
[Not sure if this is the right list for this]

We've got a site in the Kit Carson Campground, off 88, south of Lake Tahoe, for mid-August. I was cruising around on ReserveAmerica and the idea of camping in the aspens has always appealed to me, so I booked a weekend there.

I'm researching things to do in the area. There are several hikes listed nearby, so I doubt we'll have trouble finding something to do with ourselves.

But, of course, I always welcome suggestions from folks who are more familiar with the area. Any must-do hikes?

Friend of the Happy Rock.
April 29, 2017 07:32AM
Lots of nice hikes there.

Winnemucca Lake and its environs...from a shorter hike to 14miles rt to 4th if July Lake and back.

Heading North to Mess Meadows, Round Lake, Dardanelles Lake etc.

Beautiful stuff. We have photos a reports on our website backpackthesierra.com. look under destinations, highway 88.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 07:32AM by balzaccom.
avatar Re: Kit Carson - South of Lake Tahoe
April 29, 2017 07:09PM
balzaccom
Lots of nice hikes there.

Winnemucca Lake and its environs...from a shorter hike to 14miles rt to 4th if July Lake and back.

Heading North to Mess Meadows, Round Lake, Dardanelles Lake etc.

Beautiful stuff. We have photos a reports on our website backpackthesierra.com. look under destinations, highway 88.

I was going to check your website next, actually!

It's a new camping/romping area than we usually go, so I'm a bit excited to just get there. I fell in love with the aspens when we drove through from a trip to Bishop a couple of years ago, and have wanted to get back to them again.

April 29, 2017 10:56AM
I concure. From Woods Lake campground, you can do a spectacular loop past Winnamucca Lake and several others with the option of a short detour to the top of Round Top Peak. The views are epic!
avatar Re: Kit Carson - South of Lake Tahoe
April 29, 2017 07:09PM
troutwild
I concure. From Woods Lake campground, you can do a spectacular loop past Winnamucca Lake and several others with the option of a short detour to the top of Round Top Peak. The views are epic!

Thanks! I'll have to check it out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login