Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Max trailer size Upper Pines site 148

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Max trailer size Upper Pines site 148
May 13, 2017 09:00PM
Hi, I know it's a bit of a stretch, but is anyone familiar with Upper Pines site #148? I have a 19' trailer that I hope will fit in there. From the picture's I've seen, the site looks long enough. But when I booked, it said max length 12', but it's the only site I've been able to reserve so far. Still trying to see if another opens up.

Anyway, I think it will fit, just curious if there are any trees or rocks in the way that would prevent turning and backing up. Unfortunately I can' see those details from the on-line photos.

Thank you in advance!
Ken
May 16, 2017 08:57AM
You might want to put this on the "Yosemite and Sierra News and Discussion" group, sister group to this one.

A chart I have shows this site to be 28' by 11ft. wide., with an additional 5ft. open hangover at the end. It looks like a 90 degree turn into the site which is probably why they recommend only a 12' trlr. However from looking at a couple of different pictures it looks like you may be able to cut that angle as it looks like there are no rocks or trees on the left side of the site where it meets the road . When are you going? I'll be there 5/29 for a few days if you want me to check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2017 08:59AM by mtn man.
May 17, 2017 08:29AM
Actually after looking more closely at the pictures that angle does not look like a 90 degree angle. It's more like a 40 degree angle making backing in from the left side very difficult. Backing from the right would fit the angle better but you can't cut the angle because of the campground marker post being right at the right junction of the site pad and the road. You are probably going to need someone to see it first hand or keep trying for another spot. I could be wrong.
May 17, 2017 11:29AM
Thanks so much for your help. I'll be there in in mid-June. The site definitely looks plenty long. But as you say, getting it in there looks tricky.
I'll keep trying for a new site, but in the meantime I better practice my backing skills.

Does anyone know of web sites with more detailed photos? The only 2 I've found are campsitephotos and recreation.gov

Thanks!
avatar Re: Max trailer size Upper Pines site 148
May 17, 2017 01:01PM
May 17, 2017 01:21PM
Yosemitecampsites.com.

Sometimes by looking at the pics. of adjoining campsites on these various sites you can see your campsite also.
June 01, 2017 10:13PM
Are you still looking for info on site 148?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2017 07:52AM by mtn man.
June 07, 2017 02:08PM
Thanks Mtn_man!
For anyone else who happens to have the same question, we fit in the site -- but just barely. Backing in wasn't much of an issue, just a tree across the road to keep an eye on.

I had to park my tow vehicle horizontally in front of the trailer, and even then it was almost sticking out on the road. I'd say a 19 or 20ft trailer is max. for this site.
Most of the sites around this one were even smaller.

Anyway, we had a blast (especially the waterfall hikes), and thanks everyone for your help!
-Ken

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 02:09PM by goalie22.
June 11, 2017 09:10PM
goalie22
Thanks Mtn_man!
For anyone else who happens to have the same question, we fit in the site -- but just barely. Backing in wasn't much of an issue, just a tree across the road to keep an eye on.

I had to park my tow vehicle horizontally in front of the trailer, and even then it was almost sticking out on the road. I'd say a 19 or 20ft trailer is max. for this site.
Most of the sites around this one were even smaller.

Anyway, we had a blast (especially the waterfall hikes), and thanks everyone for your help!
-Ken

My post of 6/1 was to tell you that I had looked at your site 5/30 and I was going to tell you what it looked like, which is just what you discovered when you got there. So glad you fit and had a good time.

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login